Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) Market News: 10 March 2023
Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers this quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Leadership Move: Zscaler announced that Karl Soderlund has been appointed as the company’s senior vice president, Worldwide Partners, and Alliances. Soderlund will be responsible for advancing and modernizing the Zscaler partner program by developing and executing a competitive go-to-market strategy and leading the channel team, the company said. (Source: Seeking Alpha)
2. Threat Report: Check Point Software Technologies has published its Global Threat Index for February 2023. Last month saw the Remcos Trojan return to the top ten list for the first time since December 2022 after it was reported being used by threat actors to target Ukranian government entities through phishing attacks. Meanwhile, Emotet Trojan and Formbook Infostealer climbed the ranking taking second and third place respectively, while Education/Research remained the most targeted industry. (Source: Seeking Alpha)
3. Cyber Insurance Program: Relm Insurance Ltd., a specialty insurance carrier serving innovative industries, announced a partnership with NetDiligence, a provider of cyber risk readiness and response services, to deliver a suite of cyber risk monitoring solutions to policyholders via automated enrollment through NetDiligence’s eRiskHub.
4. Reputation Help: Hush, a corporate cyber-privacy platform provider, and Legendary, a provider of digital crisis management services, have formed a partnership aimed at protecting executives and businesses from digital reputation threats. By combining Hush’s privacy AI with Legendary’s expertise in crisis management and reputation recovery, the partnership will offer clients a new level of reputation monitoring, threat detection and defense services.
5. Industry Recognition: Deepwatch, a company focused on advanced managed detection and response (MDR) security, announced that is has been recognized by Forbes on its America’s Best Startup Employers 2023 list for the second consecutive year. Deepwatch received this award for its reputation, employee satisfaction and growth, the company said.
6. New Cybersecurity Rules Proposed: The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is set to unveil a new effort to control how broker-dealers and others tackle the risk of hacking and respond to theft of customer data. The SEC’s five members are due to vote March 15 on issuing three new proposals. Since last year, the commission has unveiled a series of cybersecurity proposals citing increased danger to public companies and investors. (Source: Reuters)
7. Company Fined Over Cyber Incident: Software company Blackbaud Inc. has agreed to pay $3 million to settle charges that it made misleading disclosures about a 2020 ransomware attack that impacted over 13,000 customers, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission reported. In July 2020, the South Carolina-based provider of donor data management software disclosed a ransomware attacker and said the attacker had not accessed bank account information or Social Security numbers of donors, the SEC said. (Source: Reuters)
8. Industry Recognition: Logically, a managed IT and security service provider, announced that the Security Industry Association (SIA) has named Dominique Andrews, the company’s chief people officer, to the 2023 honoree list for the SIA Women in Security Forum Power 100. This initiative, presented by the SIA Women in Security Forum, honors 100 women in the security industry each year who are role models for actively advancing diversity, inclusion, innovation, and leadership in the community.
B. Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- Women in Cybersecurity (WiCyS) 2023 (March 16-18, Denver, Colorado)
- RSA Conference 2023 (April 24-27, San Francisco)
- Identiverse 2023 (May 30 – June 2, Las Vegas, Nevada)