Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) Market News: 15 May 2023
Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Cyberattack Hits Newspaper: The Philadelphia Inquirer experienced the most significant disruption to its operations in 27 years due to a cyberattack. The company was working to restore print operations after a cyber incursion that prevented the printing of the newspaper’s Sunday print edition, the Inquirer reported. The news operation’s website was still operational Sunday, although updates were slower than normal. (Source: ABC News)
2. Leadership Move: DataDome, a provider of AI-powered online fraud and bot management, has hired Teague Dufresne as director of Channel Sales, who will lead a streamlined partner program that will support the evolving needs of today’s enterprises in the fight against online fraud and automated threats, the company said.
3. SC Awards Announce Winners: The SC Media Awards has named its 2023 finalists. Honoring the best in cybersecurity, the SC Awards recognize the people, products and companies that are forging the industry’s future and advancing the cause of safe and secure commerce and communications.
4. Leadership Move: Adam Hickey, who served as deputy assistant attorney general with the U.S. Department of Justice’s National Security Division since 2016, has joined Mayer Brown as a partner. Hickey, who established the Justice Department’s National Security Cyber Program, will be part of Mayer Brown’s cybersecurity and data privacy, national security, and global investigations and white collar defense practices. (Source: Reuters)
5. Industry Recognition: Sangfor Technologies announced that its Next-Generation Application Firewall (NGAF) has earned a “recommended” rating with “outstanding” security effectiveness, from CyberRatings.org, a non-profit committed to delivering independent and objective testing of security product efficacy.
6. Leadership Move: Lodestone Security has named Erin Malone as chief revenue officer to lead the company’s growth strategy. Malone will play a critical role in building and leading the sales, marketing and partner channel teams to develop and drive its business development strategy, the company said.
7. Industry Recognition: Wallarm, an API security company, today has been named a CyberTech 100 company in 2023 by specialist research firm FinTech Global. In its fourth year, the prestigious list highlights the most innovative companies improving the cyber defenses of financial institutions.
8. Cybersecurity Education: The SANS Institute and Sinclair Community College, in collaboration with the National Science Foundation (NSF), have launched the JumpStart into Cyber Summer program. The program is designed to engage and empower underrepresented student groups, including women, Black, African American, Latino(a), Hispanic and Indigenous students, providing them with an opportunity to excel in cybersecurity education and prepare them for future jobs.
9. Partnership Launched: CertiK, a blockchain security company, and Alibaba Cloud have formed a partnership to provide blockchain security services to cloud-based Web3 projects. Web3 developers can now accelerate their development process and secure their applications and smart contracts with CertiK’s Security Suite and Alibaba Cloud’s secure infrastructure.
10. Leadership Move: Source Defense, a web application client-side protection and data privacy compliance specialist, has appointed Ross Hogan as CEO. Hogan was a founding member of Source Defense as its initial chief business officer, and now rejoins the Israel-based company, bringing with him more than 20 years of go-to-market and product development leadership experience in the fraud prevention and cybersecurity industries.
B. Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- Identiverse 2023 (May 30 – June 2, Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Infosec World (September 25-27, Lake Buena Vista, Florida)