Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) Market News: 4 April 2023
Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Cyber Incident: Western Digital has reported suffering a cybersecurity incident that has seen “some systems” breached and parts of its business operations disrupted. The digital storage company said the incident might result in further disruption to business operations and is currently working on securing operations, having been forced to shut some systems down. (Source: Microsoft)
2. Funding Boost: Trustle, a cloud access management provider, has secured a $6 million seed funding round led by Glasswing Ventures. Founded in 2019, Trustle’s mission is “to revolutionize the management of access-at-risk.” The company said it will use the funding to expand product development, marketing research and sales resources.
4. Product Launch: Zilla Security, a provider of identity security for the cloud, has launched its channel partners program and named Garrett Long as its new vice president of business development. The company is launching its channel program with a number of leading partners in the identity and security industry, including Anomalix, GuidePoint Security, Optiv and Legion Star.
5. It’s National Supply Chain Integrity Month: The Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) is partnering with various U.S. government and industry partners to kick-off the 6th annual National Supply Chain Integrity Month. This year’s theme, “Supply Chain Risk Management (SCRM) – The Recipe for Resilience,” is a call to action to encourage stakeholders and partners to apply a comprehensive SCRM approach to secure the U.S.’s most critical supply chains.
6. Industry Recognition: CrowdStrike has been named for the third year in a row to the 2023 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For list. “CrowdStrike’s global workforce includes some of the best and brightest minds in security, all laser focused on breaking new ground to fulfill our mission of stopping breaches,” said J.C. Herrera, CrowdStrike’s chief human resource officer.
7. Cyber Summit Slated: U.S. Department of Defense CIO John Sherman and State Department Ambassador Nate Fick will headline the 14th Annual Billington CyberSecurity Summit, September 5–8 at the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center in Washington, D.C. The event will explore topics related to this year’s theme: “Advancing Cybersecurity’s Impact in an Age of Heightened Risk.”
8. Leadership Move: VikingCloud, a provider of cybersecurity and compliance solutions, has appointed Jim Burke as CEO and a member of the VikingCloud board. Robert McCullen will continue as board chairman and play an active role in the company. Most recently, Burke served as CEO of Workforce Logiq, a global provider of AI-powered workforce intelligence and technology services to large corporations.
9. Nuclear Security Deal: Rebellion Defense has been awarded a contract to provide continuous cybersecurity testing to the U.S. National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA). NNSA, the federal agency responsible for safeguarding national security through the military application of nuclear science, will use Rebellion Nova to defend critical infrastructure systems.
10. Product Launch: Akamai Technologies has updated its managed security service program and premium service offerings. The new capabilities are intended to help customers protect their businesses 24/7 from the most sophisticated cyberattacks with proactive monitoring and rapid response capabilities.
B. Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- RSA Conference 2023 (April 24-27, San Francisco, California)
- Identiverse 2023 (May 30 – June 2, Las Vegas, Nevada)