The details so far, according to BleepingComputer, include:
1. Acer’s Statement: The PC giant has not confirmed the REvil ransomware attack actually occurred. Acer told BleepingComputer: “There is an ongoing investigation and for the sake of security, we are unable to comment on details.”
2. Leaked Documents: The hackers leaked documents allegedly from Acer, including financial spreadsheets, bank balances, and bank communications.
3. Attack Timing: The attack started on March 14, 2021.
4. Hacker Demand: $50 million.
5. Discount Offer: The attackers offered a 20 percent discount if payment was made by March 17, 2021.
6. Exhange Server Vulnerability Exploited? The Revil gang recently targeted a Microsoft Exchange server on Acer’s domain.
7. Attack Impact: The report did not say which portion of Acer’s network was allegedly hit by the attack nor did it describe the alleged damage.