- Ransomware: No demands have been made; however, the FBI has found out that ransom may be between $100,000 and 300,000 and could be negotiable.
- Cybersecurity Consulting: The superintendent approved an emergency contract with GreyCastle Security to help in the investigation. The FBI is assisting.
Hackers, Malware and Ransomware Target School Districts
Multiple school districts across the United States have experienced cyberattacks in recent months. Examples include:
- Huntsville City School of Alabama: The school advised students not to use laptops and other school-issued devices after a cyberattack in November 2020.
- Baltimore County Public Schools (BCPS): Hackers leveraged malware to attack BCPS, and the cyberattack forced BCPS to close on November 30 and December 1.
- Clark County School District (CCSD): Cybercriminals used ransomware to trigger a data breach involving Social Security numbers, student information and other private information from CCSD in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Athens Independent School District (ISD): Athens ISD in Athens, Texas paid $50,000 to restore school district data after a ransomware attack against its servers.
How MSPs Can Mitigate Ransomware Attack Risks: To safeguard your MSP business and clientele from ransomware attacks, follow this tip sheet.