DarkSide Ransomware Attacks IT Services Provider
This is the latest in a growing list of DarkSide ransomware attacks that have surfaced in May 2021. Alleged victims include:
- The Illinois reseller. That attack allegedly allowed DarkSide to steal more than 600 gigabytes of sensitive information, including passwords, financial information, HR information and employee passports from it, CNBC reports.
- A Brazilian-based reseller of renewable energy products, CNBC says.
- A Scottish company in the construction industry, CNBC reports.
- Toshiba Tec France Imaging Systems, MSSP Alert reports.
- Colonial Pipeline, MSSP Alert reports.
How MSSPs Can Mitigate DarkSide Ransomware Threat
MSSPs (managed security services providers) seeking to mitigate potential DarkSide ransomware threats for customers should see this joint CISA-FBI Cybersecurity Advisory about the malware, which surfaced May 11, 2021.
MSSPs working with the U.S. federal government should also read President Biden’s executive order on cybersecurity — which includes specific cyber requirements and deadlines for IT service providers. Biden issued the order on May 12, 2021.