Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) Market News: 25 May 2023
by Jim Masters • May 25, 2023
Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. Crypto Crime Fighting: The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is launching a four-month pilot program this June to fight global cyber-crime using crypto, particularly for tax evasion purposes. The IRS is sending key figures to Sydney, Australia; Bogota, Colombia; Frankfurt, Germany; and Singapore to build relationships with foreign governments and improve global crypto crime detection. (Source: The Street)
2. Ransomware Attack: German automotive and arms manufacturer Rheinmetall AG confirms that it suffered a BlackBasta ransomware attack. On May 2, BlackBasta posted Rheinmetall on its extortion site along with samples of the data the hackers claimed to have stolen from the company. (Source: Bleeping Computer)
3. Cybersecurity Collaboration: KnowBe4, a security awareness training and simulated phishing platform provider, announced a new integration with its Kevin Mitnick Security Awareness Training (KMSAT) platform and TDI’s automated Cybersecurity Performance Management (CPM) software solution, CnSight.
4. Industry Recognition: WithSecure named IIlliane, Fence AS, Advania Finland Oy and KryptoKloud as winners of its fifth annual Partner Awards. The winners were announced at WithSecure’s annual SPHERE event in Helsinki, Finland.
5. Partnership Announced: Kudelski Security is partnering with the Aleph Zero Foundation. Aleph Zero’s community builders will have access to Kudelski‘s services, enabling users to receive enhanced protections against cyber threats to their digital assets.
6. Security Research: Salt Security, an API security company, has released new threat research from Salt Labs that details several critical security flaws in the Expo framework. The flaws were found in the implementation of the Open Authorization (OAuth) social-login functionality utilized by Expo. The vulnerability has the potential to affect any users logging in to an online service using the Expo framework through their Facebook, Google, Apple, and Twitter accounts.
7. Product Launch: VicOne, an automotive cybersecurity solutions leader, has brought to market its Smart Cockpit Protection Solutions for automotive original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) to protect their customers’ data privacy.
8. Leadership Move: Acalvio Technologies, a specialist in cyber deception technology, has appointed Andrew “Andy” Makridis, former chief operating officer of the CIA, to the company’s Federal Advisory Board. Makridis joins Four-Star Navy Admiral James Winnefeld as an inaugural member of the board.
9. Product Launch: Tufin, a network and cloud security policy automation specialist, has released its Tufin orchestration platform. The platform extends security teams’ visibility and control into the cloud, enabling enterprises to better bridge the gaps between network and cloud security.
B. Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- Identiverse 2023 (May 30 – June 2, Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Infosec World (September 25-27, Lake Buena Vista, Florida)