MDR is a Critical Capability for MSSPs: Keys to Making the Right Choice
MSSPs need airtight threat detection and rapid, reliable remediation. The optimal way to do this is to ensure you have top-notch MDR capabilities 24/7/365. Many MSSPs partner with an MDR provider to achieve this.
MSSPs face frequent hurdles in their quest to grow their security business, maintain current customer satisfaction, and enhance IT operations and efficiency:
- Fragmented cybersecurity solutions
- Constant changes in the threat landscape
- Lack of 24/7 security expertise
Service Providers can embrace MDR as a crucial layer of cybersecurity defense. Managed Detection and Response (MDR) can overcome these real-world customer challenges with fast deployment, continual adaptation, and much-needed cybersecurity expertise as a managed security service.
What is MDR
Managed Detection and Response (MDR) is a managed cybersecurity solution that delivers services tied to 24/7 threat monitoring, detection, and response. MDR minimizes the burden of running complex software and tools by combining and managing the right security analytics and technology. It encompasses a Security Operations Center (SOC) that includes tech stack expertise and extends value by aggregating, analyzing, and executing an incident response playbook.
MDR provides multiple layers of protection to counter the multiple attack vectors possible. Various technologies used to provide enhanced visibility and better detection and response include Security Information and Event Management (SIEM), Endpoint Protection Platforms (EPP), and Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS).
Challenges that MDR Addresses
There are three critical capabilities that an MDR solution must provide:
- Defense-in-Depth through multiple security controls in one platform. You don’t need to patch together a Rube Goldberg Machine of disparate cybersecurity components. Instead, MDR offers a holistic platform for better security and simplified management.
- A sensor-based, cloud-managed solution that requires no hardware. Keeping up with the ever-changing threat landscape is challenging. A trusted MDR vendor partner deploys new security controls and innovates with integration capabilities such as the MITRE ATT&CK framework. No more nightmare customer deployments and rip-and-replace projects.
An around-the-clock SOC with security experts. Thwarting advanced threats requires more mature technology, skilled people, and diligent incident response than in years past. A 24/7 SOC should be an integral component of MDR, minimizing false positives and offering active threat hunting.
How MSSPs Can Help
Advanced cybersecurity is becoming more critical as sophisticated threats have accelerated, from financially-motivated cyber criminals to well-funded nation-state attackers targeting software supply chains.
According to Gartner, “By 2025, 50% of organizations will be using MDR services for threat monitoring, detection and response functions that offer threat containment capabilities.”
With strong business community relationships, MSSPs are well-positioned to embrace MDR and evolve their technology stack. There are several options to adopt MDR: purchase MDR tech and manage it yourself, team up with a proven MDR service provider, or a hybrid approach.
Avoid MDR Pitfalls
When deciding to embrace and adopt MDR, focus on how that solution adds value to your customer relationships and brings in new revenue streams without tying up capital and adding business risk. Whether you are purchasing and managing your own MDR tool, teaming up with an MDR service provider, or have found a hybrid approach, be aware of the hazards you can face when evaluating moving forward with an MDR solution:
- MDR vendors that tout technology only without a SOC for 24/7 monitoring and incident response, placing the burden on you to spin up these human-led services.
- Unproven MDR solutions that contain bloated features that add cost and complexity.
- Inflexible solutions that can’t be tailored to your unique environment and team may not adapt to changing threat landscape requirements.
Netsurion provides MDR services that enable MSSPs to quickly improve their cybersecurity maturity to substantially decrease risk.
MDR Buyer’s Guide
MDR addresses the technology and human element needed for cybersecurity outcomes against advanced threats. Interest in MDR services is growing as organizations look for ways to defend against stealthy and persistent cyber criminals. MSSPs will find a wide range of MDR definitions and approaches, so becoming an educated decision maker is crucial. Find the managed cybersecurity solution that’s right for your customer base and augments your current capabilities. Netsurion empowers MSSPs to better predict, prevent, detect, and respond to threats with a defense-in-depth approach to MDR. Learn more in our comprehensive MDR Buyer’s Guide.