Google Completes $450M ADT Investment for NEST Security Monitoring
Google has completed a previously announced investment in ADT Inc, the provider of security, automation, and smart home solutions. The $450 million Google investment arrives as ADT continues to also invest in managed security services for businesses.
The ADT-Google relationship involves these initiatives and focus areas:
- Google ($GOOG) acquired roughly a 6.6% ownership stake in $ADT.
- Each company will commit $150 million for co-marketing, product development, technology and employee training.
- The resulting products and services — spanning Google Nest hardware and ADT’s security monitoring services — will include do-it-yourself and professionally installed security offerings.
- ADT expects to offer certain Google devices to its customers beginning in 2020 and to expand the integration in 2021.
ADT Managed Security Services Strategy
ADT is more than a consumer and home monitoring service. The company has introduced managed security services for homes and small businesses. Key moves include ADT in 2018 acquiring Secure Designs Inc. (SDI), a well-known MSSP and SonicWall partner that manages firewall equipment for small business customers. More recently, ADT has:
- introduced digital security services;
- partnered with Xperteks Computer Consultancy;
- hired Apple veteran Bob Kupbens;
- launched an SMB-focused managed security service; and
- partnered with enVista for more SMB security services.
MSSP Alert is watching to see if or how ADT leverages Google Chronicle, an increasingly popular security analytics platform.