Managed Security Services Provider Morning News: 14 August 2017
Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider ecosystem.
Here’s the lineup for Monday, August 14, 2017:
9. AWS Security: Stay tuned for multiple updates today from software and cloud companies that are launching security-related services that run on Amazon Web Services and/or protect AWS. The news will surface at AWS Summit in New York. We’ll bring you details throughout the day.
8. Certified: Teladoc, a telehealth provider, has earned Certified Status for information security by the Health Information Trust (HITRUST) Alliance. The certification reinforces Teladoc’s ability to safeguard sensitive protected healthcare information (PHI) of its clients and members, the company says.
7. Hotel Hackers: A Russian government-sponsored cyberespionage group allegedly used a leaked NSA hacking tool in attacks against one Middle Eastern and at least seven European hotels in order to spy on guests, CSO Online reports.
6. More HBO Hacker Leaks: Hackers have released more unaired episodes of popular HBO shows but the latest leak did not include anything on the hit series “Game of Thrones,” the Associated Press reported on Sunday. The hackers, who broke into HBO’s computer network and have released stolen information for several weeks, provided more unaired episodes, including the popular show “Curb Your Enthusiasm, ” which returns in October, Reuters noted. The continued leaks come after HBO offered the hackers $250,000 as part of a ransom payment, but the cable network says the offer was merely a a stalling tactic.
5. Government Cyber Security: The UAE on Saturday rolled out Federal Network (FEDNet) to safeguard the UAE government from advanced persistent threats, GulfNews reported. The network is designed to protect at least 35 federal bodies from cyberattacks.
4. WiFi Security: Roughly one in five people put corporate data at risk via unsecured WiFi hotspots. The data, from Bitglass, reveals some key risks involving users who access Office 365, Salesforce and other well-known SaaS applications. Here’s a recap from BetaNews.
3. Big MSSP Wins: VirtualArmour International Inc. has secured two new managed services clients in the Healthcare industry. The multi-year contracts include the implementation of new security platforms and ongoing Managed Security Services. The two deals have combined contract values in excess of US$1 Million, VirtualArmour says. The company did not, however, disclose the two customers’ names.
2. More Cybersecurity Conferences: Three events just surfaced on our MSSP Alert Cybersecurity Conference Calendar. They include DoDIIS Worldwide (this week); ISSA Cybersecurity Training & Technology Forum (CSTTF) later this month; and RETR3AT Cybersecurity Conference at Montreat College in October. Check the MSSP Alert Cybersecurity Conference Calendar to see more event listings, or to list your own conference.
1. MSP, Employee Faces Computer Fraud Charges: An MSP and one of its employees face charges of computer fraud for illegally accessing customer systems. Who allegedly did what? We’ll share all the details later today.