Managed Security Services Provider Morning News: 22 December 2017
Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the lineup for Friday, December 22, 2017:
6. Financial Services: Hackers tried to steal 55 million rubles ($940,000) from Russian state bank Globex using the SWIFT international payments messaging system, the latest in a string of attempted cyber heists that use fraudulent wire-transfer requests, Reuters says.
5. Total Darkness?: Can America’s power grid and associated devices survive an electromagnetic attack? That question surfaced when federal agencies and utilities recently met for GridEx IV, a biennial event where attendees essentially play war games to explore worst-case scenarios for U.S. infrastructure.
4. Cyber Insurance & HIPAA Breach: In an usual move, federal regulators have made arrangements to have a cyber insurer, Beazley Group, cover a $2.3 million HIPAA penalty on behalf of a bankrupt cancer care clinic chain, 21st Century Oncology, which separately agreed to false claims settlements totaling $26 million, according to Healthcare Info Security.
3. Partner Program: GuardSquare, which specializes in mobile application protection, has launched a global partner program. The company has offices in Belgium and San Francisco, California.
2. Banned Again: Lithuania is banning Kaspersky Lab’s security software from sensitive computers, alleging that the Russia-based software company could have ties to that government. The U.S. banned Kaspersky’s products from federal computers earlier this year, and the United Kingdom also is expressing potential concerns about the software company. Kaspersky has repeatedly denied any ties to Russia’s government, and is taking steps to assure government customers worldwide that the concerns are unfounded.
1. Wishing You All the Best: Our team wishes you and your family Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year. Goodbye: I’m set to disappear for Christmas and will reappear at MSSP Alert and ChannelE2E on Wednesday, January 3. Hello: Despite my absence, our websites and newsletter will feature new content every business day, so check in daily. My plan for the holidays? I’ll be taking time to rediscover my why.