Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 01 August 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
Here’s the daily business update for Thursday, August 1, 2019.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Black Hat 2019 Conference News: Track our live Black Hat USA 2019 conference news coverage here. We’ll update that link with news and analysis through the show’s conclusion on August 9.
2. Talent – MSSP and Executive Search Firm: CynergisTek’s recent hire of IBM Security veteran Caleb Barlow involved Benchmark Executive Search, the search firm has disclosed. CynergisTek is an MSSP focused on the healthcare vertical market.
3. Cyber Insurance – Professional Services: Chubb has launched ProERM — a cyber insurance offering for professional services firms. Pro ERM combines miscellaneous professional liability, media liability, cyber liability, and first-party cyber coverages with loss mitigation and incident response services in a single policy, the company says.
4. Research – SOC Productivity: Security personal in U.S. enterprises waste roughly 25 percent of their time facing false positives, according to new joint research from SIEM provider Exabeam and Ponemon Institute.
5. Research – Financial Services: Fully 50 percent of all unique organizations impacted by observed phishing domains were from the financial services sector, according to Akamai’s 2019 State of the Internet/Security Financial Services Attack Economy Report.
6. Funding – Risk Mitigation: Prevailion, a Columbia, Maryland-based cybersecurity startup focused on manage risk discovery, evaluation and mitigation, has raised $10 million in Series A funding. AllegisCyber led the funding round, with participation from previous investor DataTribe.
7. SOAR Plus Threat Detection and Response: LogicHub’s SOAR+ platform addresses such key areas as autonomous detection and response; advanced analytics; and machine learning to “automate decision making with extreme accuracy across historically disparate security operations,” the company claims.
8. Data Protection Plus Cybersecurity: Data protection specialist Cohesity has pushed into the security market with a new offering called Cohesity CyberScan. The application leverages backup data to assess the vulnerabilities, or risk posture, of an enterprise’s IT environment.
9. Breach Simulator: SafeBreach has launched the SafeBreach GRID – Global Risk Director, a breach and attack simulation application that uses correlative analytics to identify security gaps and link them to their potential business impact, the company says.
10. Car Cybersecurity: Millions of new Internet-connected cars could be vulnerable to hackers and potentially lead to thousands of fatal crashes on roads across the United States, a new Kill Switch report alleges.
11. U.S. Government – Cyber Lapses?: The U.S. Department of Defense has purchased at least $32.8 million worth of various IT products that have known cybersecurity risks, Law 360 reports…
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Distribution – Security Operations Center (SOC) Platform: ThreatQuotient has confirmed partnerships with global distributors Ectacom, Nihon Cornet and StarLink.
2. Small Business MSSPs and Qualys: During the company’s earnings call yesterday, Qualys CEO Philippe Courtot said a new generation of MSSPs is emerging to support SMB customers.
3. Talent – Telecom & Cloud Security: Check Point Software Technologies has hired two key executives to drive Americas sales as well as telecom and cloud sales. We’re checking to see how the hires — involving Cylance and Optiv Security veteran Chris Scanlan and T-Mobile veteran Erez Yarkoni — will align their efforts with Frank Rauch, Check Point’s head of worldwide channels.
4. All Partner Programs: Search the comprehensive ChannelE2E Partner Program Database here. Also, submit your company information here and your partner program can be listed in the database.
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- Black Hat USA 2019 (August 3-9, Las Vegas)
- EnergySec Security and Compliance Summit 2019 (August 19-21, Anaheim, California)
- GSX 2019: Global Security Exchange Conference (September 8-12, Chicago, Illinois)
- MSSP Accelerator – Sales and Marketing Summit (September 10-11, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- CISA Cybersecurity Summit 2019 (September 18-20, National Harbor, Maryland)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.