Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 05 November 2018
Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the daily business update for Monday, November 5, 2018.
6. Another Facebook Data Breach: Hackers appear to have compromised and published private messages from at least 81,000 Facebook users’ accounts, BBC reports.
5. Banks and Threat Hunting: U.S. Bancorp, Wells Fargo & Co. and other banks are hiring vendors to gain an insight into attackers’ activities, ferreting out information about distributed denial-of-service attacks and new malware, The Wall Street Journal reports.
4. FDA Cyber Holes: The U.S. Health & Human Services Dept.’s inspector general last month flagged the FDA for its “deficient” plans and processes to ensure medical device cybersecurity, saying the federal safety watchdog’s policies and procedures are “insufficient for handling post-market medical device cybersecurity events,” according to MassDevice.com.
3. Canada Breach Notification Law: As of Nov. 1, new provisions in Canada’s Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act came into force, which include mandatory tracking of all data breaches by all organizations, large and small, Bank InfoSecurity reports.
2. School Cyber Theft?: A New Jersey school district apparently suffered a cyber incident that hijacked about $200,000 in school funds…
1. ConnectWise IT Nation Connect 2018: Managed cybersecurity services will be a major theme later this week at ConnectWise IT Nation Connect 2018 in Orlando. Among the key updates to potentially track: More details on the recent ConnectWise investment in Perch Software, and an emerging cybersecurity framework for MSSPs. Stay tuned for updates soon from MSSP Alert.