Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 10 May 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Colonial Pipeline Cyberattack Updates: Colonial Pipeline has suffered a ransomware attack, forcing the U.S. energy company to shut down its entire fuel distribution pipeline — and therefore threatening gasoline and jet fuel distribution across the U.S. east coast.
2. MSSP Establishes Virtual CISO Trademark: Trusted Internet, an emerging MSSP, has trademarked the Virtual CISO term as part of an effort to assist small businesses (200 employees or less) with security plan build-outs, CEO Jeffery Stutzman tells MSSP Alert. The Virtual CISO engagement typically becomes a long-term contract CISO engagement that embeds Trusted Internet into the customer to assist decision making and/or break/fix operations. Key Trusted Internet partners include Avanon, Cyware, Duo, Fortinet and KnowBe4.
3. Cyberattack Insurance – Landmark Decision: In an apparent industry first, global insurance company AXA said it will stop writing cyber-insurance policies in France that reimburse customers for extortion payments made to ransomware criminals. AXA, among Europe’s top five insurers, said it was suspending the option in response to concerns aired by French justice and cybersecurity officials during a Senate roundtable in Paris last month about the devastating global epidemic of ransomware, ABC News reports.
4. Integration – Threat Intelligence and ServiceNow: Darkfeed, an automated indicator of compromise from Cybersixgill, has received certification with ServiceNow and is available now in the ServiceNow Store.
5. Tulsa, Oklahoma Ransomware Attack: The City of Tulsa is experiencing technical difficulties due to a ransomware attack. According to the statement, no customer information has been comprised, but residents will experience delays in network services, a local TV news station reports.
6. RPI Cyberattack: An malware attack has shut down Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute‘s computer network, impacting the university’s students as they go into finals for the spring semester. The attack prompted RPI on May 9 to announce all final examinations, term papers and project reports due on May 10 and May 11, 2021, were canceled, The Times Union Reports.
B. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- VMware Carbon Black Connect 2021 (June 3, Virtual Conference)
- Proofpoint Protect 2021 (June 8-9, Virtual Conference)
- Sumo Logic Modern SOC Summit 2021 (June 8-9, Virtual Conference)
- Zscaler Zenith Live 2021 (June 15-16, Virtual Conference)
- ConnectWise IT Nation Secure 2021 (June 21-23, Orlando, Florida)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar