Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 11 September 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Never Forget: September 11, 2001.
2. Pension Fund Hacked, Robbed: The FBI is investigating after computer hackers managed to steal about $4.2 million in funds from a pension system for retired Oklahoma Highway Patrol troopers and other state law enforcement officers, Claims Journal reports.
3. Kaspersky Ban Formalized: A final rule published in the Federal Register Tuesday officially bans U.S. government agencies and their their contractors from buying or supporting Kaspersky security products, Bank Info Security reports. The U.S. government worries that Kaspersky could have spying ties related to Russia’s government. Kaspersky has repeatedly denied the claims, and continues to innovate on multiple fronts — including a new cloud-based solution to combat cheating in sports.
4. Talent: FortifyData, a cybersecurity software company has hired Bob Morrell as CEO. He previously was co-founder and CEO of Riskonnect, a provider of integrated risk management software. FortifyData did not disclose who was previously CEO, though CTO Victor Gamra is listed as company founder.
5. Cyber Security Suite: Verismic has released a new Cyber Security Suite version featuring real-time threat alerting and device quarantine to detect, isolate, and prevent cyber security breaches, the company says.
6. Financial Results – Zscaler: The cloud security specialist disclosed fourth-quarter results yesterday.
- Revenues were $86.1 million, up 53 percent from Q4 2018.
- GAAP net loss was $5.3 million, compared to $7.0 million in Q4 2018.
The figures generally beat Wall Street’s expectations, but the company’s stock fell about 15 percent amid a weaker-than-expected growth forecast.
7. Office 365 Security: Microsoft has introduced automated incident response for Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection.
8. Funding – Threat Intelligence: Cyware Labs, a New York-based threat intelligence sharing and cyber fusion product-based security company, raised $3 million in seed funding.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- GSX 2019: Global Security Exchange Conference (September 8-12, Chicago, Illinois)
- CISA Cybersecurity Summit 2019 (September 18-20, National Harbor, Maryland)
- Exabeam Spotlight19 (September 30-October 2, San Francisco)
- EuroCACS/CSX 2019 (October 16-18, Geneva, Switzerland)
- Infosecurity and ISACA North American Expo and Conference (November 20-21, New York City)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.