Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 14 August 2018
Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the update for Tuesday, August 14, 2018.
11. Symantec Receives Nasdaq Notification: The Nasdaq on August 10 notified Symantec that the security company is not compliant with a Nasdaq Listing Rule that requires timely filing of periodic financial reports with the Securities and Exchange Commission. On the one hand, the notification is not surprising since Symantec is navigating an internal audit investigation. But on the other hand, the Nasdaq notification is a timely reminder that Symantec has until November 26, 2018, to regain compliance.
10. Oracle Security Alert: Oracle has issued a security alert related to several of its database products.
9. Microsoft Azure Firewall: Microsoft has launched beta tests of an Azure firewall and Azure Virtual WAN technology. We’ll share more details soon.
8. Encryption – Australia Legislation?: Australia on Tuesday proposed a new law requiring technology firms such as Alphabet Google, Facebook and Apple to give police access to private encrypted data linked to suspected illegal activities, Reuters reports. Technology companies have repeatedly pushed back against such laws.
7. M&A – Security Concerns?: The Thales Group has extended the acceptance period for its planned $5 billion purchase of Gemalto NV, as competition authorities study the tie-up over concerns about hardware components used for data encryption, Law360 reports.
6. M&A – Application Security: Imperva has completed the acquisition of Prevoty, a provider of Runtime Application Self-Protection technology.
5. M&A Guidance: Momentum Cyber was the exclusive financial advisor to ADT on its acquisition of Secure Designs Inc (SDI).
4. MSSP Launch Delay: CSPi has delayed the launch of its MSSP platform — known as ARIA SDS (Software Defined Security). The platform is now scheduled to reach beta testing in late 2018, with initial customer sales and associated revenue starting in early 2019, the company says. We’ll share more details soon.
3. Vertical Market MSSP: CynergisTek is gaining momentum as an MSSP focused on the healthcare sector. We’ll share more details soon.
2. Trustwave Talent: Trustwave, the Top 100 MSSP, has hired McAfee and DXC veteran George Tomic as senior VP, engineering. He will oversee product evolution and service delivery innovation. Tomic also previously held key roles at Symantec and HP Enterprise. Also Harris Associates veteran Julie Nagle joins Trustwave as senior VP, human resources. She’ll further strengthen the link between people, technologies and corporate strategies, the company says.
1. Black Hat Security Conference Dates, Locations: The next four Black Hat security conferences are confirmed for October (training in Chicago), December (London), March 2019 (Asia) and August 2019 (Las Vegas). Check the MSSP Alert Cybersecurity Conference Calendar regularly for events worldwide that feature MSSP-centric content.