Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 17 May 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
Here’s the daily business update for Friday, May 16, 2019.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Cyber Insurance – Agriculture: Hartford Steam Boiler (HSB), part of Munich Re, has unveiled an HSB Farm Cyber Insurance solution that helps protect farmers and farm technology from hackers, malware and other cyber attacks, the company claims.
2. Cyber Insurance – Express Offer?: At-Bay has launched an excess cyber insurance policy for clients across all industry classes. At-Bay developed this product to fulfill broker demand for access to the At-Bay Security Team for organizations with insurance towers, the company says.
3. Talent – Network Security: Lastline, which develops AI-powered network security, has hired Claire Trimble as the company’s chief marketing officer. The company earlier this year named Greg Enriquez chief revenue officer.
4. GozNym Malware – Hackers Busted: U.S. prosecutors charged 10 foreign suspects with unleashing malware in 2016 that allowed them to transfer millions of dollars out of victims’ bank accounts, according to an indictment unsealed on Thursday, The Wall Street Journal reports.
5. Bundle – Identity and Access Management: Ping Identity has unveiled a cloud-based multi-factor authentication (MFA) and single sign-on (SSO) bundle. Curious MSSPs can check out a free 30-day trial here.
6. Sophos Financial Results: The security company, which works closely with MSPs and MSSPs, disclosed stronger-than-expected financial results for its fiscal year ended March 31, 2019. Revenue grew 11.2 percent to $710.6 million — a sign that Sophos has regained some momentum after hitting some business turbulence earlier in the fiscal year. In a prepared statement about the results, CEO Kris Hagerman said:
“Despite the challenges we faced in FY19, we are pleased with the strategic progress we made during the year. The demand environment for cybersecurity solutions continues to be robust, and we are confident that we are well positioned competitively, especially as more organisations move to adopt next-generation cybersecurity offerings. Increasingly, organisations of all sizes are looking for cloud-native solutions, centralised administration, integrated products, AI-powered protection, openness, and a service-oriented approach to security. Our next-gen solution set and strategy align well with these demands and have helped Sophos deliver strong growth in subscription revenue and customer count. We have become a leader in the next-gen cybersecurity market, and we are excited about the road ahead.”
7. Penetration Testing as a Service: Pcysys has extended its penetration testing services to MSSPs. The platform, called PenTera SP (Service Provider) edition, allows certified consultants, service providers, and MSSPs to purchase a bulk of licenses for penetration-test instances and consume them discretely for different customers that they serve. The option to resell the software remains available as well.
8. Endpoint Protection: Endgame has unveiled Endgame Reflex, an autonomous adversary prevention and detection engine for customized response that does not require cloud connectivity.
B. Cybersecurity & MSSP Partner Programs
C. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- Palo Alto Networks Ignite19 (Start date: June 3)
- Carbon Black Connect 2019 (June 3)
- Security Operations Centers: Build or Partner? (Webcast – June 6)
- Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit (June 17)
- AWS re:Inforce Cloud Cybersecurity Conference (June 25)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
That’s what’s on our radar for today. Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.