Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 23 September 2019
by Joe Panettieri • Sep 23, 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Respeonse (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Seed Funding – Privacy: The Authoriti Network, a provider of new ways to prevent identity theft and misuse of consumer data, has raised $1.5 million in seed funding led by Dot Capital.
2. M&A – Done Deal: Palo Alto Networks has completed its acquisition of Zingbox, an IoT cybersecurity company.
3. M&A – Endpoint Security: HP Inc. has acquired Bromium, an end point security start-up. Bromum’s virtualization-based security isolates browser-based attacks, malicious downloads, email attachments and other applications in unique, hardware-enforced micro-virtual machines, the companies assert. Financial terms were not disclosed.
3. SMB Cybersecurity Training: Only 31 percent of small business employees receive cybersecurity training on an annual basis, according to the Chubb Cyber Risk Survey for 2019.
4. Facebook Suspends Apps: Facebook has suspended “tens of thousands” of apps that may have mishandled users’ personal data, sparking fresh concerns about the tech giant’s privacy practices and exposing it to another potential standoff with U.S. regulators, according to The Washington Post. Facebook made the disclosure on September 20.
5. Talent – MSP vCISO: WEBIT Services Inc. has hired Chicago Stock Exchange veteran Chris Brown as vCISO (virtual chief information security officer). WEBIT is a Chicago-area MSP.
6. Cyberattack – M&A: Thinkful, an online education site for developers, has confirmed a data breach, just days after it confirmed it would be acquired, TechCrunch reports.
7. Cyberattack – Florida County: Lee County, Florida, suffered a cyberattack that impacted some online systems — though few details about the attack have been disclosed.
8. Cyberattacks – Iran: Iran denied on Saturday that its oil fields had been successfully attacked during a cyber operation, after online reports emerged of disruptions in the oil sector, according to Trend News Agency.
9. Cyberattacks – Smart Buildings: Almost four in 10 (37.8%) computers used to control smart building automation systems were affected by malicious attacks in the first half of 2019, Kaspersky reports.
10. Ransomware Attack – Wyoming Hospital: A hacker attack targeting Campbell County Health forced a hospital to cancel some surgeries, stop admitting patients and transfer some patients to other facilities, the hospital disclosed on September 21, according to Associated Press.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- Exabeam Spotlight19 (September 30-October 2, San Francisco)
- EuroCACS/CSX 2019 (October 16-18, Geneva, Switzerland)
- Infosecurity and ISACA North American Expo and Conference (November 20-21, New York City)
- RSA Conference 2020 (February 24-28, San Francisco)
- The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.