Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 24 August 2018
Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the update for Friday, August 24, 2018.
8. Cryptocurrency Exchange Breach: Kaspersky Lab’s Global Research and Analysis Team (GReAT) has discovered AppleJeus, a new malicious operation by the infamous Lazarus group, the security software provider says. The attackers penetrated the network of a cryptocurrency exchange in Asia using Trojanized cryptocurrency trading software. The goal of the attack was to steal cryptocurrency from their victims. In addition to Windows-based malware, researchers were able to identify a previously unknown version targeting the macOS platform, Kaspersky asserts.
7. T-Mobile Security Breach: T-Mobile US its Metro PCS unit informed customers on Thursday about a security breach that was discovered and shut down by the company on August 2018…
6. Ransomware Attack: Superdrug, a UK health and beauty retailer, has suffered a ransomware attack that apparently involves the personal information of 20,000 customers.
5. User Behavior Analytics: Plurilock Security Solutions, provider of behavioral-biometric cybersecurity tools, has unveiled a SaaS version of its cybersecurity suite. Moreover, the company’s revenues recently exceeded $1 million over a 12-month period.
4. Cybersecurity Training Center: Miami Dade College this week launched the Cybersecurity Center of the Americas. This training facility, features a security operations center as well as a Cyber Range powered with technology developed by Cyberbit. MDC is the only higher education institution in Florida with a Cyberbit range, the college asserts. The center gives local students and working professionals hands-on cybersecurity education and simulated training that mirrors real-life cyberattack scenarios, MDC says.
3. M&A – Cybersecurity Consulting: Technology solutions provider 3SG Plus has acquired OnGuard Systems, a cybersecurity consulting firm specializing in endpoint security software. Jim Mazotas, founder & CTO of OnGuard Systems, join 3SG Plus as Chief Visionary Officer in charge of new and emerging technologies. We’ll share more details soon.
2. Major MSSP Embraces Fortinet, SentinelOne: Infosec Partners, a global MSSP, has selected the Fortinet Security Fabric and SentinelOne to address the unique security concerns of their global customer base, the companies say.
1. Top 100 MSSPs 2018: We’ll unveil the complete 2018 list and research during our September webcast. Register now to join us.