Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 26 November 2018
Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the daily business update for Monday, November 26, 2018.
10. School Hack Court Case: The Lake Ridge School Corp. recently lost a legal battle with a New York bank to recover more than $120,000 stolen two years ago by an offshore computer hacker, NWI reports. The fraud occurred in 2016, when the bank’s employees followed instructions contained in what they thought was a legitimate email from the school district to pay $120,882 to several people listed as project contractors, the report notes.
9. Alleged Cyber Espionage: NSO Group — an Israeli company that specializes in cyber espionage tools — reportedly negotiated a multi-million-dollar deal with Saudi Arabia to sell a technology that allows governments to hack their citizens’ cellphones, and to listen to calls as well as conversations that take place near the phones, The Times of Israel reports.
8. SonicWall Evolution: The company has extended far beyond SMB firewalls. Deeper details about SonicWall’s evolution are here…
7. Talent: AttackIQ, which offers continuous security validation, has hired Brett D. Galloway as CEO. The move follows AttackIQ hiring Dan Sibille roughly two months ago as VP of global alliances and channels. Galloway previously co-founded Mist Systems, and he was CEO of Airespace, which was sold to Cisco in 2005. He was also the co-founder, chief operating officer and later CEO of Packeteer, which launched an IPO in 1999.
6. $1 Million Hack: In a method known as “SIM swapping,” 21-year-old hacker Nicholas Truglia stole $1 million from a San Francisco executive and hacked the phones of a number of other Silicon Valley and blockchain executives, Bitcoinist reports.
5. US Postal Flaw: The US Postal Service has fixed a security bug in its website that allowed anyone with an account to see the account details of the site’s 60 million users, ZDNet reports.
4. Hacked – Make A Wish: A Make-A-Wish website was recently infected with cryptojacking malware, according to SpiderLabs, a security lab from Trustwave, the Top 100 MSSP.
3. Partner Program – Cloud security: Lacework has launched a global channel partner program for VARs and MSPs. Key adopters include Optiv, SHI and Tevora.
2. Top 10 Security Lists for 2019: We’re rolling out multiple Top 10 lists to help you strengthen your security posture for customers in 2019. The lists so far include…
- Top 10 SIEM Software Tools and Companies for 2019
- Top 10 Cloud Access Security Brokers for 2019
- Top 10 Managed Security Services for 2019
- More lists are surfacing daily. Track them all here.
1. MSSP Pricing Guide: We’ll share managed security pricing tips during our December webcast. Register now to join us.