Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 28 January 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the daily business update for Monday morning, January 28, 2019.
10. Facebook Data Privacy – Another Fine?: Consumer groups have urged the Federal Trade Commission to fine Facebook more than $2 billion for allegedly violating an agreement not to share user data, according to Law360. Details surfaced the same week that Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg explained his company’s commitment to privacy in a Wall Street Journal editorial that earned mixed reviews.
9. Huawei – European Union Warning: Andrus Ansip, essentially the European Union’s digital chief, is warning member countries to consider the risk of partnering with China’s Huawei Technologies. On the flip side, excluding Huawei could hamper new 5G mobile networks, China’s envoy to the European Union warned this past weekend, Reuters says. Multiple countries and security organizations worldwide have expressed concerns that Huawei’s technology could help China’s spying operations. Huawei has repeatedly denied the allegations. Amid the market uncertainty, Vodaphone is temporarily halting the purchase of some Huawei technologies.
8. Russia Emails Hacked: A group called the Distributed Denial of Secrets (DDoS) has released a massive trove of hacked e-mails and leaked documents from what it describes as “Russian politicians, journalists, oligarchs, [and] religious, and social figures,” according to Radio Free Europe. The big question: Is the leaked data authentic, or part of a misinformation campaign?
7. Cyber Attack – Akron, Ohio: A group with ties to the Anonymous hacking organization denied responsibility for last week’s cyberattack against Akron, Ohio’s city computers. Multiple local and state agencies are investigating the cyberattack.
6. Cyber Attacks – Hadoop Databases: Hackers increasingly are targeting Hadoop databases, according to a Securonix report.
5. Utilities and IoT Security: Cisco Systems is offering this IoT security advice to utilities and partners within that ecosystem.
4. Secrets to CISO Success: Want to succeed as a chief information security officer? Experienced CISO Todd Fitzgerald penned this book — CISO Compass — to help cybersecurity leaders navigate key challenges.
3. How to Build An Incident Response Team: Some starting points surface here.
2. Breaches Impact M&A: Here’s the evidence.
1. MSSP Alert Webcasts 2019: Our schedule is posted here. Register now to join us.