Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the update for Tuesday, October 30, 2018.
10. Retail Breach – HIPAA Violation?: Supermarket and pharmacy chain Raley’s has suffered a security breach involving 10,000 customers. The company says a pharmacy laptop was stolen last month. It contained names, medical conditions, prescription drug records and other health information, according to ABC News.
9. Hacker Penalty: A former Rutgers University student must pay $8.6 million in restitution and serve six months of home incarceration for launching DDoS attacks against the university, North Jersey media reports.
8. Hacking Your Brain: Researchers from Kaspersky Laband the University of Oxford Functional Neurosurgery Group have issued a report, which identifies existing and potential vulnerabilities in implanted brain stimulation devices. As scientists are using these devices to explore how memories are created in the brain and can be targeted, restored and enhanced, these vulnerabilities could be exploited in the future to steal personal information, alter or erase memories or cause physical harm, the researchers warn.
7. Bank Hack: Digital robbers stole $6 million from BankIslami Pakistan sometime this month and a portion of the money has been recovered, according to Dunya News.
5. Encryption:TSB Technologies has launched SENT, an encrypted file transfer SaaS application for smB customers.
4. Talent – SIEM:Exabeam has named Manish Sarin as CFO and Rajiv Taneja as executive vice president of Engineering.
3. SOAR Adoption: One-third of LogRhythm customers have already adopted the company’s embedded security orchestration, automation and response (SOAR) capabilities. That’s far ahead of overall SOAR industry adoption rates, the company claims.
2. Ingram Micro Security Strategy: It’s safe to expect partner-related updates today during the Ingram Micro ONE conference in Washington, D.C. …
1. ConnectWise Security Integrations: Cylance now integrates with ConnectWise Automate, allowing MSPs to deploy the endpoint protection solution without requiring a reboot. Also, Vircom’s modusCloud email security product now integrates with ConnectWise Manage. Those are the latest security-related integrations ahead of next week’s IT Nation Connect conference in Orlando, Florida. We’ll share more details soon.