Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the lineup for Friday, March 30, 2018:
8. Facebook Privacy Update: Facebook is distancing itself from a 2016 executive memo suggesting that the company needed to pursue user growth above all other priorities. Growth-minded mandates, critics allege, reinforce Facebook’s failure to properly build, maintain and enforce user privacy policies. Further complicating matters, former FTC officials say that Facebook Inc. appears to have breached a 2011 consent agreement to safeguard users’ personal information and may be facing hundreds of millions of dollars in fines, Bloomberg reports.
7. Apple Privacy Update: Apple is introducing new tools that will allow consumers to control how their data are used and deactivate their Apple ID accounts, as tech companies strive to bring their services into line with a tough new EU data protection law, Reuters notes.
6. New York Cyber Security: New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman has released a new report on data breaches impacting New Yorkers. In 2017, companies and other entities reported 1,583 data breaches to the attorney general’s office, exposing the personal information of 9.2 million New Yorkers – quadruple the number of New Yorkers impacted in 2016, WHEC notes. Meanwhile, New York City Mayor Bill De Blasio launched NYC Secure, a cyber security initiative to protect New Yorkers from malicious cyber activity including when they access the NYC public WiFi network.
5. Cyber Murders?: A researcher at Vanderbilt University’s Owen Graduate School of Management has linked over 2,100 patient deaths to hospital data breaches and lack of cybersecurity, according to the Wall Street Journal.
4. Under Armour Breach: Under Armour data from some 150 million MyFitnessPal diet and fitness app accounts was compromised in February, the company says.
3. M&A:OPAQ Networks has acquired FourV Systems, maker of GreySpark, which provides actionable business intelligence for managing security operations. The platform is designed for MSPs and MSSPs to automate the assessment of midsize customers’ security architecture and regulatory compliance maturity.
2. Partner Honor:AlienVault has named SIEM specialistAbacode as its Global Growth Partner of the Year.
1. Top 100 MSSPs Survey: Our Top 100 MSSPs Survey for 2018 is now open. Participate now and your company could be recognized and ranked among the world’s top MSSPs when we unveil research, results and the complete list in September.