Managed Security Services Providers Morning News: 14 December 2017
Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the lineup for Thursday, December 14, 2017:
12. Partnership: CyFlare, which develops a SOC for VARs, is partnering with Phantom, which specializes in Security Automation & Orchestration. The companies are working together to enable VARs, integrators and clients to sell, service, integrate, monitor and manage a full security stack remotely from the CyFlare Security Operations Center.
10. Partner Program: SecurityFirst, a provider of data-centric cyber solutions says the conpany’s SecurityFirst Partner Program has attracted three new resellers: CMA, Sengex and First Nation Corporation (FNC).
9. Cisco and Apple Security: Cisco Systems has launched Cisco Security Connector for iOS, a security app designed to give enterprises deep visibility and control over network activity on iOS devices. It offers security functionality from Cisco Umbrella and Cisco Clarity in a single app.
8. Federal Security Deadline Extended: The Pentagon will delay a Jan. 1 deadline for all of its suppliers to meet DFARS cybersecurity mandates. Under the revised plan, companies by the end of 2017 must instead merely show that they have a plan in place to meet the regulations, according to a DefenseOne report.
7. Seduced By the Dark Side: Two co-founders of a DDoS mitigation firm in the New York City area and another accomplice have pleaded guilty to their role in creating and using the Mirai botnet to launch massive distributed denial-of-service attacks on several large Internet companies in 2016, Dark Reading notes. We’ll share more thoughts soon.
6. ConnectWise Integration: Entrust Datacard‘s identity and secure transaction technology solutions now integrate with ConnectWise. The new integration for ConnectWise Manage is designed to make it easier to order and manage SSL/TLS certificates, the companies say. ConnectWise quietly launched a major managed security services ecosystem push earlier this year. Key partners so far also include Webroot, AlienVault and Arctic Wolf Networks.
5. Endpoint Security: ForeScout Technologies has launched ForeScout Extended Module for IBM BigFix. ForeScout’s integration with IBM BigFix, an endpoint management and security platform, strengthens endpoint defenses and automates risk mitigation actions across mobile, BYOD, IoT and off-premises corporate devices, the company says.
4. Rising Cyber Insurance Rates: Despite a series of high-profile cyber breaches, Willis Towers Watson P.L.C. said Tuesday that experts forecast cyber insurance rate increases of up to 5% for 2018. Industry observers expect total premiums, which are around $2.5 billion now, to reach $10 billion by 2020, Business Insurance noted.
3. No Satisfaction: No U.S. business appears fully satisfied with its information security function, according to EY’s Global Information Security Survey.
2. M&A – Managed Security Services: HelpSystems has acquired Fox Technologies, a solution provider in the cybersecurity industry since 2001, from Parallax Capital Partners. Fox Technologies solutions help organizations tighten security by centralizing Linux and Unix identity and access management. With the acquisition, HelpSystems can help customers manage user privileges—granting employees the right amount of access necessary to perform their jobs—across a greater range of operating systems, the companies say.
1. Today – MSP Security Operations Centers: Should you build one or outsource to a third-party SOC? Attend our webcast today (Thursday), December 14, to find the pros and cons of each approach.