Microsoft Edge Password Monitor: Here’s What MSSPs Need to Know
The Microsoft Edge web browser now offers a Password Monitor feature that notifies end-users if any of their usernames or passwords previously showed up in a data breach. Microsoft originally announced Password Monitor for Edge in March.
Password Monitor uncovers a match with any of an Edge user’s saved usernames and passwords, according to Microsoft. It notifies the user any time their credentials have been detected on the dark web and prompts the user to take action.
Edge users can access the Password Monitor dashboard page in Settings to view all leaked credentials, Microsoft stated. They also can get routed to any websites where credentials were leaked to immediately change their passwords.
Poor Password Security Is an Ongoing Problem
Password security remains a major problem for many global organizations, according to a recent “Global Password Security Report” from password security company LastPass.
Key findings from LastPass’ report include:
- Password sharing is common in most businesses, due to the fact that many departments or teams have one or two licenses for a service that needs to be accessed by several employees or shared with external contractors or organizations.
- Businesses with fewer than 1,000 employees often have the highest rates of password reuse.
- 23 percent of employees worldwide are accessing their passwords on their smartphone.
Today’s organizations must develop password security best practices and share these practices with their employees, LastPass stated. In doing so, organizations can empower their employees to work securely and minimize risk.
In addition, MSSPs can help organizations develop and deploy password security programs. MSSPs also can provide security services to protect organizations against credential theft.
Password Management Tools for MSPs, MSSPs
Multiple software companies develop password and identity management tools for MSPs and MSSPs. Key names to know include:
- Passly from Kaseya’s ID Agent;
- Passportal from SolarWinds MSP; and
- Duo from Cisco Systems, among others.