MSSP Mergers And Acquisitions List: 53 Managed Security Buyouts to Note
This blog offers an ongoing list of managed security services provider (MSSP) mergers and acquisitions that we’ve tracked.
At least five factors are driving the M&A activity, MSSP Alert believes.
- Talent: The cyber skills shortage is driving MSSPs to find talent through M&A.
- Threats: The growing, shifting threat landscape is inspiring M&A deals to close technology and expertise gaps.
- Speed to Market: Acquiring companies can often be a faster path into a new or evolving technology market or business region.
- Scale: Smaller MSSPs are merging to counter the scale of larger rivals.
- Growth: The traditional MSP market will experience sub-10 percent compound annual growth rates (CAGR) in the years ahead. The MSSP market, in stark contrast, is growing at an 18 percent CAGR.
Updates: This story was originally published May 7, 2019. It is updated regularly to reflect the latest MSSP-related M&A deals.
MSSP Mergers, Acquisitions, Buyouts: The List
Among the M&A deals we’ve tracked:
52. January 2021: Atos acquired Fidem, a Canadian cybersecurity consulting firm with expertise in cloud protection, digital identity, risk management & security operations.
51. January 2021: Accenture acquired Real Protect, an MSSP serving Brazil and the Latin America market.
48. December 2020: Sysnet Global Solutions, a company that specializes in cybersecurity and compliance solutions for small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs), acquired the Managed Compliance Solutions (MCS) division of ControlScan, a Top 250 MSSP.
47. December 2020: Atos acquired Motiv ICT Security.
46. December 2020: A private investor group acquired SilverSky from BAE Systems.
45. December 2020: PDI acquired Cybera and ControlScan.
44. October 2020: BlueVoyant acquired Managed Sentinel, a Microsoft Azure Sentinel partner.
43. September 2020: Motorola Solutions acquired Delta Risk.
41. September 2020: Cerberus Cyber Sentinel acquired Clear Skies Security for cybersecurity assessment and penetration testing services.
40. September 2020: Avertium acquired 1440 Security in a deal that united two Top 200 MSSPs.
39. September 2020: Secureworks acquired Delve for vulnerability management software.
38. August 2020: Konica Minolta and All Covered acquired Depth Security for penetration testing.
37. August 2020: Cerberus Sentinel acquired Technologyville.
35. July 2020: CyberCX acquired Basis Networks.
34. July 2020: Herjavec Group acquired Securience for IAM (identity and access management) expertise.
33. July 2020: Eurofins Digital Testing acquired Commissum Associate for MSSP and penetration testing services.
32. June 2020: Atos acquired Paladion, an MSSP with managed detection and response (MDR) and security operations center (SOC) capabilities
31. May 2020: SaalexIT acquires Arctic MSP, furthering a nationwide MSSP and MSP push.
30. March 2020: Accenture acquires Context Information Security, a cyber defense consultancy in London with roughly 250 employees.
29. March 2020: Dyonyx and Single Path merge to form Dyopath.
28. January 2020: Accenture acquires Symantec MSSP Cyber Security Services business from Broadcom.
27. January 2020: Private equity firm Trinity Hunt Partners acquires Dataprise, a Top 200 MSSP for 2019.
26. December 2019: CyberProof acquires Necsia Cybersecurity for managed detection and response (MDR) services.
25. November 2019: IPKeys buys Top 200 MSSP N-Dimension and gains managed security for the electric grid and more.
24. November 2019: CynergisTek acquires Backbone Technologies for healthcare and non-healthcare managed security services.
21. October 2019: Private equity firm acquires, merges 12 cybersecurity consulting firms. The result: BGH Capital launches CyberCX, a company that specializes in security assurance, incident response and digital forensics, managed security services and other cybersecurity services.
20. September 2019: EY acquires ElevatedPrompt Solutions for MDR services.
18. July 2019: Accounting firm EisnerAmper acquires CSAM Marketing, a managed IT services provider (MSP) with cybersecurity risk mitigation & remediation services.
17. May 2019: Private equity firm Sunstone Partners acquires and merges three MSSPs. The merger — involving Sword & Shield, Terra Verde and TruShield — creates a new national cybersecurity service provider & consulting firm called Avertium.
16. May 2019: Orange move to acquire SecureLink, setting the stage for a massive European MSSP business combination.
15. April 11, 2019: Today’s Nuspire buyout of GBprotect.
14. April 1, 2019: Finnish cybersecurity company Nixu acquired Ezenta, a Danish IT security consulting firm. The combined firm offers managed security services across Europe.
13. March 2019: Deloitte, a Top 100 MSSP, acquired Converging Data Australia, a cybersecurity firm that partners with AttackIQ, Carbon Black, Phantom & Splunk.
12. March 2019: NTT Security acquired WhiteHat Security. The deal unites a Top 100 MSSP & an application security provider for DevSecOps teams. Here are details from RSA Conference 2019.
11. February 2019: Orange acquired SecureData — formerly the UK’s largest independent MSSP.
10. December 2018: ConnectWise acquired Sienna Group, an MSSP that helps MSPs & technology solutions providers to drive down risk & boost recurring revenues.
9. October 2018: Top 100 MSSP and PCI compliance expert ControlScan acquired Dunbar Cybersecurity for managed detection and response (MDR), SIEM and SOC capabilities.
8. August 2018: ADT acquired Secure Designs Inc. (SDI), a well-known MSSP that manages SonicWall firewalls and other security equipment for small business customers.
7. June 2018: Continuum acquired CARVIR, a Top 100 MSSP that offers managed security, SIEM (Security Information and Event Management) and EDR (Endpoint Detection and Response) services to MSPs in the SMB (small and midsize business) sector.
6. May 2018: Midmarket IT solutions provider Presidio acquired MSSP and cybersecurity consulting firm Red Sky Solutions for $40.8 million.
5. May 2018: Texas-based MSSP Critical Start acquired security orchestration technology firm Advanced Threat Analytics.
4. April 2018: KPMG, a Top 100 MSSP, acquired Canadian cyber risk services & testing solutions firm Egyde to bolsters its cybersecurity offerings.
3. April 2018: British MSSP & network security consultancy ITC Secure acquired SBD Advisors, a U.S. cybersecurity advisory firm.
2. January 2018: Identity & access solutions firm The SCE Group acquired Cayden Security, an MSSP that has risk mitigation expertise.
1. January 2018: British managed security services provider ITC Secure acquired the cybersecurity practice of business intelligence firm G3 & investment company Kinnevik AB.