Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 01 June 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. MSSP Breakup?: It sounds like Singtel may break up its MSSP business, known as Trustwave…
2. Funding – Endpoint Security: SentinelOne quietly raised $103 million in February 2021, in part to fund the Scalyr acquisition for $155 million, an SEC filing revealed, CalTech reports. That deal surfaced amid continued speculation that SentinelOne is marching toward a potential IPO.
3. Valuation: Israeli cybersecurity firm Pcysys could be valued at around $1 billion by the end of 2021, around which time it may seek new funding to propel growth, Reuters reports.
4. Cloud-based SIEM: Sumo Logic has introduced Sumo Logic Cloud SIEM Powered by AWS. The cloud-based SIEM platform integrates with key AWS security services.
5. Cyberattack Impacts Worldwide Meat Supply Chain: The world’s largest meat supplier, Brazil’s JBS SA, has suffered a cyberattack that rocked the company’s IT operations in Australia and North America. Details are still emerging.
6. Hacker Attacks High School: A Florida high school junior hacked into the Pinellas County school district’s computer network this spring and shut down Internet access for all 145 of the district’s schools for two days, GovTech reports.
7. Hackers Exploit Fortinet Vulnerabilities: APT actors are exploiting Fortinet vulnerabilities to gain access for malicious activity, an FBI warnings says. The exploits involve known Fortinet FortiOS vulnerabilities. This is a follow up to the FBI-CISA Joint Cybersecurity Advisory from April 2, titled: AA21-092A: APT Actors Exploit Vulnerabilities to Gain Initial Access for Future Attack.
8. Epsilon Red Ransomware Attacks: Sophos researchers have published a report on a new strain of ransomware known as Epsilon Red. The malware is a stripped-down ransomware that offloads most of its functionality to a series of PowerShell scripts. The report details the tools, techniques and procedures and behavior of the attackers behind Epsilon Red, Sophos says.
B. Cybersecurity Partnerships and Strategic Alliances
1. Partnership – Microsoft & MSSPs: Vectra AI, a provider of threat detection and response technology, has joined MISA (the Microsoft Intelligent Security Association). MISA is an ecosystem of independent software vendors and MSSPs focused on enterprise security.
2. Partner Program – Application Security: ArmorCode, a Silicon Valley startup, has launched its channel and integration partner program. Inaugural partners include 3K Technologies and ShiftLeft.
3. Distribution: Ignition Technology has agreed to distribute Siemplify’s SOAR (security orchestration, automation and response) software in the United Kingdom.
C. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- VMware Carbon Black Connect 2021 (June 3, Virtual Conference)
- Proofpoint Protect 2021 (June 8-9, Virtual Conference)
- Sumo Logic Modern SOC Summit 2021 (June 8-9, Virtual Conference)
- Zscaler Zenith Live 2021 (June 15-16, Virtual Conference)
- Siemplify SOCstock 2021 (June 15, Virtual Conference)
- ConnectWise IT Nation Secure 2021 (June 21-23, Orlando, Florida)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar