Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP): 03 August 2020
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Investment – Smart Home Managed Security Services: Google is investing in ADT, and the duo is partnering to develop smart home security technology and services, the search giant and Top 200 MSSP say.
2. Ransomware Payment – Texas School District: Athens ISD will pay $50,000 to return school district data after a criminal ransomware attack against its servers. Because of the attack, the first day of school will have to be delayed by a week, Government Technology reports.
3. Ransomware Payment – Travel Firm: U.S. travel management firm CWT paid $4.5 million to hackers who stole reams of sensitive corporate files and said they had knocked 30,000 computers offline, according to a record of the ransom negotiations, Reuters reports.
4. Cyberattack or DNS Problem?: Telstra customers across Australia suffered Internet outages on August 2. The big Internet service provider initially claimed the issue involved a cyberattack. Then Telstra said the issue involved a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack. Then Telstra said the issue involved a DNS problem and not a cyber attack, Gizmodo reports…
5. Virtual Security Summit: Ingram Micro’s Security Solutions Summit 2020 is confirmed for August 12-13.
B. Upcoming Cybersecurity Conferences
- Black Hat USA 2020 (August 1-6, Virtual Conference)
- Ingram Micro Security Solutions Summit 2020 (August 12-13, Virtual Conference)
- Exabeam Spotlight20 (November 9-11, Virtual Conference)
- Palo Alto Networks Ignite20 (November 9-12, Las Vegas)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, San Francisco)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar