Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 04 February 2022
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), eXtended Detection and Response (XDR), threat hunters and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Editorial Director Joe.Panettieri@CyberRiskAlliance.com. Thank you in advance for news tips.
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Funding – Virtual CISO Platform for SMBs: Cynomi, a Virtual CISO Platform for service providers and SMBs, has raised $3.5 million in seed funding from Flint Capital, SeedIL, Lytical Ventures, and a group of business angels, including Nir Giller, co-founder of CyberX (acquired by Microsoft). The company plans to engage MSPs and MSSPs that want to safeguard SMB customer systems.
2. Launch – Virtual CISO Service for SMBs: BlackFog, a provider of on-device data privacy, data security and ransomware prevention capabilities, has launched a virtual CISO (vCISO) service for SMB customers.
3. Talent – SIEM and XDR: Securonix has hired Edward Rhyne as executive principal and head of cyber physical systems security. Rhyne oversees Securonix’s newly created operational technologies (OT) business unit within Securonix Threat Labs.
4. Talent – Cybersecurity as a Service: Cyvatar has hired Alise Barron as VP of member experience.
5. eXtended Detection and Response (XDR): Confluera has updated its XDR platform to support Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform (GCP). Existing Amazon Web Services (AWS) support also has been enhanced, Confluera indicated.
6. Patch Management: JumpCloud will launch Patch Management on its cloud directory platform sometime in Q1 2022.
7. Department of Homeland Security – Cyber Safety Review Board: DHS has finally formed and announced a long-awaited Cyber Safety Review Board. The board will initially investigate the Log4j vulnerability and associated cyber risks. That’s a shift from the original plan, which involved focusing on the SolarWinds Orion vulnerability — which made headlines in 2020 and early 2021. Why the shift in priorities? The simple answer: The board took far longer to form than DHS originally expected…
8. Alleged Cyberattacks – Russia vs. Ukraine: Russia’s Gamaredon (aka Primitive Bear APT Group) is actively targeting the Ukraine, according to Palo Alto Networks research.
B. MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Right of Boom (February 9-11, Tampa, Florida)
- Zero Trust World 2022 (February 21-23, Orlando, Florida)
- GISEC 2022 (February 21-23, Saudi Arabia)
- McAfee MPower Digital 2022 (March 22-23, Virtual)
- Apptega Amplify Partner Summit (April 27-28, Atlanta, Georgia)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar