Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 06 December 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Ransomware Attacks Data Center, MSPs: CyrusOne has suffered a ransomware attack that impacted six managed services customers, the data center provider confirmed Thursday.
2. Hackers Trick VC Firm: Chinese hackers hijacked $1 million in seed money during a wire transfer between a Chinese venture capital firm and an Israeli startup—without either side realizing anything was wrong, according to Check Point Software security researchers, Vice reports.
3. City Data Breach: The City of Newnan near Atlanta, Georgia, has learned of a data breach that extended from 2010 until March of 2018, Alive reports.
4. Okta Financial Results: Identity and access management (IAM) specialist Okta released third quarter financial results on December 5. The figures included:
- Revenue of $153 million, up 45 percent year over year.
- GAAP net loss of $63.5 million, larger than the $29.5 million net loss in the corresponding quarter last year.
The figures generally beat Wall Street’s expectations.
5. Talent – MSSP and MDR Services: Secureworks, the Top 200 MSSP, has hired CIOX Health veteran Paul Parrish as CFO. The move comes amid Secureworks’ push into managed detection and response (MDR) and SaaS-based cybersecurity services.
6. Talent – IT and Cyber Services: High Wire Networks has hired Charles Hughes as chief operating officer. Hughes now leads High Wire Networks’ strategic initiatives to improve program management, processes, integration and service delivery.
7. Talent – Endpoint Protection: Malwarebytes has promoted Akshay Bhargava to chief product officer. He’s responsible for driving the company’s technology vision, product roadmap and execution. Key focus areas include product management, user experience design, business operations, and solutions (positioning, competitive analysis, pricing and packaging).
8. Data Security: Cognizant has launched Cyber Threat Defense, a so-called “MSS 2.0” solution for data security.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Penetration Testing: Crossword Cybersecurity Plc‘s consulting division has received CREST accreditation for its penetration testing services. The company now holds certifications from CREST, IASME and Cyber Essentials Plus.
C. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- Gartner Identity and Access Management (IAM) Conference (December 10-12, Las Vegas)
- CPX 360: Check Point 2020 Conference (January 27-29, New Orleans)
- PerchyCon 2020 MSP Security Conference (January 29-31, Tampa, Florida)
- RSA Conference 2020 (February 24-28, San Francisco)
- Women in CyberSecurity (WiCys) Conference 2020 (March 12-14, Aurora, Colorado)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.