Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 08 February 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Top 40 MDR Security Companies: Based on the Gartner Market Guide for MDR Services, we take a look at these 40 MDR companies along with their business and partner program milestones.
2. Privileged Account Management (PAM) – Thycotic Up for Sale?: That’s the rumor.
3. Talent – U.S. National Security: Booz Allen Hamilton, which has a Top 250 MSSP arm, has hired Maisha Glover as a senior vice president and market strategy leader in the firm’s National Security business. The hire surfaces roughly one week after Booz Allen CEO Horacio Rozanski said the consulting giant was well-positioned to assist the Biden administration with U.S. cybersecurity initiatives.
4. Ransomware Attack – Fallout in New York: The city police department in Albany, New York, lost all digital copies of its 2018 internal affairs files in the 2019 ransomware attack on city servers, potentially affecting — and possibly dooming — criminal cases, The Albany Times Union reports.
5. Ransomware Factsheet: The National Cyber Investigative Joint Task Force (NCIJTF) has released a joint-sealed ransomware factsheet to address current ransomware threats and provide information on prevention and mitigation techniques, the CISA says.
6. Cloud Access Security Brokers (CASBs): OpenText has released BrightCloud Cloud Service Intelligence, enabling Cloud Access Security Brokers (CASB) and other security and technology vendors to “enforce data-centric security policies and prevent unwanted interactions with cloud services and associated applications,” the company says.
B. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Secureworks Connect 2021 (February 9-10, Virtual Conference)
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (March 18, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- VMware Carbon Black Connect 2021 (June 3, Virtual Conference)
- Expanding From MDR to XDR (June 17, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Black Hat USA 2021 (July 31-August 5, Las Vegas)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar