Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 12 January 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. M&A – Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR): Huntress has confirmed this EDR cybersecurity acquisition.
2. M&A – Private Equity and Security: Francisco Partners has completed the Forcepoint acquisition from Raytheon Technologies. At the same time, Forcepoint has named Manny Rivelo as CEO.
3. Funding – Security Orchestration, Automation and Response (SOAR): Cyware has received follow-on investment dollars as part of its Series A funding round. Key investors include:
- Greg Clark, managing director of Crosspoint Capital Partners and CEO of Forescout;
- Andrew Peterson, CEO and co-founder, Signal Sciences;
- Zane Lackey, co-founder, Signal Sciences; and
- Tom Noonan, founder and CEO of Internet Security Systems (ISS).
4. Microsoft EDR for Linux: Microsoft has released Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) capabilities for Linux. Partners can find the capabilities within Microsoft Defender for Endpoint (Linux), the company says.
5. Free MSP RMM Software: Action1 has introduced free cloud-based endpoint security and remote management software for 50 endpoints or less. The free remote management and endpoint security capabilities include patch management, remote desktop, software deployment, reporting, alerting and more.
6. Talent – IT Security Consulting: Independent cyber security services company, Bridewell Consulting, has appointed Martin Riley to its board as director of managed security services.
7. Talent: Cyemptive Technologies has hired USAF and NSA network and security system specialist Alan Yarusevich as principal security solution architect.
8. Partnership – Cybersecurity Training and MDR Services: CriticalStart, a Top 250 MSSP and MDR (managed detection and response) company, has agreed to provide RangeForce interactive cybersecurity training platform to its customers.
9. Partnership – Ransomware Protection: Cybereason has partnered with Intel Hardware Shield to provide protection against ransomware attacks, the two companies say.
10. Ransomware Attacks Railroad Company: Colorado-based short line rail operator and logistics provider OmniTRAX was hit by a recent ransomware attack and data theft that targeted its corporate parent, Broe Group, according to Freightwaves.
11. Mobile Network Operator (MNO) Security: iBASIS, in partnership with Positive Technologies, has launched its Managed Cloud-Based Security Portfolio for Mobile Network Operators (MNOs).
B. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Secureworks Connect 2021 (February 9-10, Virtual Conference)
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (March 18, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- Expanding From MDR to XDR (June 17, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Black Hat USA 2021 (July 31-August 5, Las Vegas)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar