Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 15 October 2020
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Research – The Human Challenge of Cyber Security: A worldwide Sophos research report shares these findings.
2. MDR and Endpoint Protection Evolution: Netsurion EventTracker recently gained an integration with Deep Instinct’s deep learning endpoint security technology. But what exactly does that mean for the future of MDR and endpoint protection? More details will emerge on October 29.
3. Partnership – Managed Threat protection & SIEM: Cornerstone Information Technologies (Cornerstone.IT) has embraced Netsurion’s Managed Threat Protection Platform, EventTracker, which includes Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) capabilities.
4. Extended Detection and Response (XDR): ReliaQuest has extended its GreyMatter platform with an Open XDR approach, the company says. Unlike other XDR tools that limit organizations to a single vendor tech stack, ReliaQuest’s vision centers on bringing flexibility and visibility to disparate data sets and technologies, the company says. This approach enables enterprises to gain security confidence through the centralized detection and remediation of threats across their siloed IT architecture, ReliaQuest asserts.
5. Patch Management: Action1, a cloud-based endpoint security solution provider, has implemented new patch management service to control both Windows and 3rd party app updates in a unified way, with common workflows, prioritization of updates, deployment time windows, and more, the company says.
6. Talent – Endpoint Protection and Security: SentinelOne has hired Trustwave veteran Brian Hussey as VP of cyber threat response. Hussey will lead SentinelOne’s Vigilance Managed Detection & Response (MDR) program.
7. Russia Hacks Norway?: Norway’s foreign minister says Russia is behind the August break-in into the Norwegian Parliament’s email system, calling the intrusion “a serious incident that affects our most important democratic institution,” the Associated Press reports. The Russian Embassy in Oslo retorted on Facebook that “no evidence had been presented” and that “such allegations are unacceptable,” AP adds.
8. Partnership – Privileged Access Management (PAM): Using the Remediant SecureONE adapter in the Axonius Cybersecurity Asset Management platform, customers may identify all privileged access discovered by Remediant, and associate users with known devices seen in Axonius, the companies say.
9. Data Breach – IT Distribution: Intcomex has suffered a data breach, with nearly 1 TB of its users’ data leaked. The leaked data includes credit cards, passport and license scans, personal data, payroll, financial documents, customer databases, employee information and more, CyberNews reports. Intcomex, based in Miami, Florida, partners with technology manufacturers, VARs, retailers and telecom operators to serve Latin America customers.
10. Funding – Password Alternative: SC Ventures has invested in Secret Double Octopus, a Tel Aviv-based startup providing authentication technology that removes the need for passwords, Reuters says. The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. Additional Secret Double Octopus investors include Sony Financial Ventures and Japanese telecoms provider KDDI, the report notes.
11. Funding – Public Cloud Security: Sonrai Security has raised $20 million in series B funding led by Menlo Ventures with participation from founding investor Polaris Partners and Series A lead investor Ten Eleven Ventures. This new funding, which brings the total raised to $38 million, will be used to accelerate research and development along with global sales and marketing activities for Sonrai Dig, an identity and data governance platform.
12. Funding – Open Source Security: FOSSA, an open source management company, today has raised $23.2 million in Series B funding from Bain Capital Ventures, Canvas Ventures and Costanoa Ventures, bringing its total funding $35 million. The company also expanded further into EMEA, and launched of FOSSA Security Management — which “empowers enterprises to identify, control and remediate open source vulnerabilities without slowing down software delivery,” the firm says.
B. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conferences
- CrowdStrike Fal.con 2020 Cybersecurity Conference (October 15-16, Virtual Conference)
- Houston Cyber Summit 2020 (October 20-22, Virtual Conference)
- Grayhat Virtual Cyber Conference (October 29-31, Virtual Conference)
- Exabeam Spotlight20 (November 9-11, Virtual Conference)
- Ignite20: Palo Alto Networks Conference (November 17-18, Virtual Conference)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar