Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 15 October 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Executives: Optiv has named Cheryl VanVoorhees as executive vice president of operations. She is responsible for “streamlining Optiv’s adaptive, holistic approach to cybersecurity at scale.” Also, Optiv named Rocky DeStefano at chief technology officer. He responsible for “directing Optiv’s technology strategy and ecosystem partnerships to bring innovative cyber offerings to clients.”
2. Partner Program – Security Investigation Software: Query.AI has launched the Query.AI Partner Alliance Program. The program is designed to “help more enterprises access, investigate, and respond to cyber threats across cloud, third-party SaaS, and on-prem ecosystems,” Query.AI said.
3. Distribution – Zero Trust Security: TD Synnex has agreed to distribute Elisity‘s software for identity and behavior-based enterprise cybersecurity.
4. Research – Phishing Techniques: The top five most common phishing lures were related to business transactions such as “order”, “payment”, “new”, “quotation” and “request,” according to HP Wolf Security research.
5. Identity and Access Management (IAM): Okta plans to release Okta Workflows as a standalone offering in November 2021. Also, new connectors and templates will be available beginning Fall 2021.
6. Customer Identity and Access Management (CIAM): Okta has released new CIAM capabilities. They include:
- Device Authorization Grant: This allows customers to “simplify and secure the registration and access for end users across input-constrained, shared, and IoT devices (like Smart TV apps, smart speakers, kiosks, and terminals).”
- Branding: Customers can deploy their brand templates without adding custom code, Okta said.
- Custom Administrator Roles: This allows customers to ensure “each admin has the right level of access they require.”
7. Compliance – Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CCMC): Here are key takeaways from CCMC Con 2021, according to CyberSheath Services International.
8. Cyber Risk Management Software: RiskLens has launched RiskLens Pro, a managed service offering that “offers organizations an easy and affordable way to quickly define, assess and communicate cyber risk in financial terms, with no in-house expertise or significant time commitment necessary,” the company asserts.
B. MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- FAIRCON21 (October 19-20, Virtual)
- CISA National Cybersecurity Summit 2021 (October 20 & 27, Virtual)
- BlackBerry Security Summit (October 13, Virtual)
- Saviynt Converge 21 Identity and Security Conference (November 3-5, Huntington Beach, California)
- Black Hat Europe 2021 (November 8-11, London)
- InfoSec World (November 9-10, Virtual)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar