Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 16 December 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. M&A – Private Equity and Cyber Consulting: Apax Partners has acquired Coalfire, a provider of cybersecurity advisory and assessment services. Coalfire, backed by more than 730 employees across the United States and the United Kingdom, supports more than 1,800 government and commercial clients, while working with seven of the top 10 SaaS providers, the company says. The sellers were The Carlyle Group and The Chertoff Group.
2. BlockChain Association Breached: eChain Foundation, the nonprofit behind the construction of the VeChain public blockchain platform, has announced that their buyback address was compromised on December 13. Roughly 1.1 billion VET tokens, or approximately $6.7 million, were transferred by hackers, The Block reports.
3. Ransomware Attack – New Jersey Hospital Network: One of New Jersey’s largest hospital systems said it was hit this month by a ransomware attack that disrupted care across its clinics and 17 hospitals, The Wall Street Journal reports. Hackensack Meridian Health said Friday the attack began Dec. 2 and forced it to cancel some surgical and other procedures, though no patients were harmed and its emergency rooms kept seeing patients.
4. Ransomware Attack – New Orleans: The City of New Orleans’ website remained offline as of 6:50 a.m. on Monday, December 16, following a ransomware attack. The city has not offered a timeline for a potential recovery. Emergency services remain online.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Growth: Alert Logic added more than 100 unique new partners to the company’s Partner Connect Program, which launched in late 2018. On the talent front, the company has named Amanda Nevins as CFO and Bryan Urioste as CMO. Both executives are based in Austin, Texas.
2. Active Directory – Cloud Security: Semperis has joined the Google Cloud Partner Advantage Program as a technology partner to help Google Cloud customers protect their Microsoft Active Directory (AD) infrastructure from ransomware and cyberattacks.
C. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- CPX 360: Check Point 2020 Conference (January 27-29, New Orleans)
- PerchyCon 2020 MSP Security Conference (January 29-31, Tampa, Florida)
- RSA Conference 2020 (February 24-28, San Francisco)
- Women in CyberSecurity (WiCys) Conference 2020 (March 12-14, Aurora, Colorado)
- OKTA Oktane 2020 Cybersecurity Conference (March 30-April 2, San Francisco, California)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.