Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 17 August 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Data Leak – The U.S. War on Terror: America’s secret terrorist watchlist was left exposed on the web without a password, according to Bob Diachenko, the head of security research at Comparitech.
2. AWS Cancels Cybersecurity Conference: For the second year in a row, COVID-19 forces AWS to cancel re:Inforce cloud security conference — a popular gathering for MSSPs. A one-day virtual event will replace two-day face-to-face gathering in Houston, Texas.
3. Microsoft Azure Government Cloud Security: Microsoft has announced the general availability of Azure Government Top Secret, which features “air-gapped regions of Azure” that will “accelerate the delivery of national security workloads classified at the US Top Secret level,” according to Tom Keane, corporate VP for Azure Global at Microsoft.
4. Cloud-Native Network Detection and Response (NDR): ExtraHop has enhanced its NDR platform to “provide deep forensic insight for advanced threat response activity,” the company says. Key features include:
- Reveal(x) 360 Threat Briefings for one-click incident response reports to retroactively investigate critical CVEs and exploits.
- Reveal(x) 360 Ultra Sensors for Amazon Web Services (AWS) workloads, which provide SaaS-based detection, response, and forensic investigation capabilities for AWS customers.
5. Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) And Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB): The iboss cloud platform has gained three enhancements:
- API Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB);
- Advanced CASB controls; and
- Remote Browser Isolation (RBI).
These enhancements “continue to expand the CASB functionality, security, and data leakage protection abilities available on the iboss platform,” the company says.
6. Threat Intelligence: Zvelo has released the Malicious Detailed Detection Feed (MDDF). The feed delivers “highly curated malicious threat intelligence to identify, confirm and enrich intelligence data on malicious URLs and malware files for quick and decisive action by defenders,” the company says.
7. Talent – Security Analytics: Exabeam has hired Forescout and McAfee veteran Pedro Abreu as chief operating officer. Abreu now leads Exabeam’s worldwide business operations, customer success, and customer support teams.
8. Talent – Secure Access Service Edge (SASE): Forcepoint has hired Symantec, Intel and McAfee veteran Rees Johnson as chief product officer (CPO).
B. Cybersecurity Partner Programs, Strategic Alliances and Integrations
1. Open XDR – MSSP Adoption: LMJ Consulting, an Alaska-based Master MSSP has embraced Stellar Cyber’s Open XDR platform to add MDR (managed detection and response) services to its offerings. LMJ Consulting also leverages BlackBerry Cylance for EDR (endpoint detection and response) as a service. On a related note, BlackBerry and Stellar Cyber recently announced a joint go-to-market partnership.
2. AWS Security: Infopercept, an MSSP, has launched Invinsense Cloud, an integrated security platform that provides an additional layer of security for Amazon Web Services. The platform integrates SIEM, SOAR, EDR and other third-party tools along with open source software. Key partners involved in the platform include Wazuh, Elasticsearch, ElastAlert, Shuffle, The Hive, Cortex, MISP, Dejavu, and Infection Monkey, according to Infopercept.
3. Partner Program – Cyber Risk Ratings: Black Kite has launched the Black Kite Aviator partner program. The program “enables IT solutions providers to bolster their portfolio of cyber risk services and help customers secure their supply chains,” the company asserts. More than 50 companies have already signed on to the Aviator program, Black Kite adds.
C. MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- AWS re:Inforce 2021 (August 24, Virtual Event)
- CMMC Con 2021 (September 29, Virtual Event)
- FireEye Cyber Defense Summit (October 4-8, Hybrid – virtual and face to face)
- Exabeam Spotlight21 (October 4-6, Hybrid – virtual and face to face)
- BlackBerry Security Summit (October 13, Virtual Event)
- InfoSec World 2021 (October 25-27, Orlando, Florida)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar