Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 17 December 2020
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP News Alerts
1. HPE Zero Day Disclosure: Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) says the company’s Systems Insight Manager (SIM) server management software for Windows and Linux. The vulnerability has yet to be patched, and HPE’s mitigation advice initially covers Windows but not Linux. HPE’s SIM security bulletin is here.
2. Talent – Ransomware Mitigation: CryptoStopper, a cybersecurity startup backed by MSP and channel industry veterans, has promoted Channel Director Kevin Torner to president. Torner will take on operations and sales responsibilities. CEO Greg Edwards continues to lead the overall startup, while focusing on strategic development and funding objectives. CrytoStopper develops a ransomware mitigation platform that’s similar in design to security honeypots.
3. Funding – API Security: Noname Security has emerged from stealth mode and raised $25 million in funding from Lightspeed, Insight Partners and Cyberstarts. Noname develops a holistic security platform that lets enterprises “see and secure managed and unmanaged APIs exposed by the organization, consumed by the organization or used internally, thereby eliminating the API security blind spots that exist in most businesses today,” the company says.
4. Software – Ransomware Mitigation: Clumio, which develops SaaS-based enterprise backup, has announced Clumio RansomProtect, an air-gapped ransomware protection, with 30-day retention for VMware / VMware Cloud on AWS, Amazon Web Services (EC2/RDS/EBS), and Microsoft M365 data, the company says.
5. Ransomware as a Service: Sophos describes SystemBC’s remote access tool for launching ransomware attacks…
6. Microsoft Password Management: Microsoft is previewing password management and autofill capabilities in the Microsoft Authenticator app.
7. Growth: CyberGRX, a cyber risk exchange provider, generated 100 percent revenue growth in 2020, and the number of validated assessments grew 180 percent on the exchange. CyberGRX did not disclose actual revenue or profit figures.
8. Threat Hunting Playbooks: Farsight Security has introduced Farsight DNSDB Enrichment Playbook App for the ThreatConnect Platform. The result: Threat hunters and other security professionals now can “automatically enrich suspicious IP addresses, domain names, and other indicators of compromise (IoCs) to map malicious adversary infrastructure used in phishing, brand infringement and other types of cybercrime,” the company says.
9. AWS Cloud Forensics: Netscout Systems has expanded its Smart Perimeter Protection to AWS. The combination of Netscout’s Cyber Investigator (NCI) and CyberStream software with new AWS packet access services helps to “contain costs and achieve better efficiencies in mitigating novel security threats as enterprises move applications to the cloud,” the company says.
B. Cybersecurity Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Partner Program – DevSecOps: Anchore, a provider of continuous security and compliance for containers, has launched a new partner program. Existing Anchore partners GitHub, GitLab, Atlassian, CloudBees, Red Hat, Microsoft and Carahsoft are part of the new program — which is designed for solutions providers, channel partners and technology partners.
2. Partnership – ESET and Google Chrome: ESET and Google are partnering in various was to safeguard Google Chrome, Google Play Store and more.
4. Partnership – Cyber Insurance Part Two: Small business cybersecurity specialist Transmosis has partnered with Cysurance to offer a cyber liability insurance solution along with the CyberOPS A.I. software and 24/7 live virtual Security Operations Center (vSOC), the companies say.
5. Partnership – Client-Side Security Training: Source Defense has partnered with Signal Sciences (now part of Fastly) to launch a training program specifically designed to address the ever-growing threat of client-side cyberattacks on websites, the companies say.
C. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Secureworks Connect 2021 (February 9-10, Virtual Conference)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- Black Hat USA 2021 (July 31-August 5, Las Vegas)
- FireEye Cyber Defense Summit 2021 (October 4-8)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar