Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 17 March 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. Funding – Cyber Insurance: Coalition has raised $175 million led by Index Ventures led with participation from General Atlantic and the company’s existing investors. Coalition’s value is now $1.75 billion, the company says.
2. Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA): Akamai Technologies has launched Akamai MFA, a” phish-proof solution designed to enable enterprises to quickly deploy FIDO2 multi-factor authentication (MFA) without the need to deploy and manage hardware security keys,” the company says.
3. Branding – MSSP: Abacode, a provider of cloud-based security and compliance services, is positioning its business as a Managed Cybersecurity and & Compliance Provider (MCCP).
4. Anomaly Detection: New Relic has added anomaly detection to its observability platform — which allows developers and partners to “visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software.”
5. Server Monitoring: DTEX Systems, has broadened the reach of its Workforce Cyber Security Platform, DTEX InTERCEPT. It now features “enhanced capabilities to monitor and secure server infrastructures,” the company says.
6. Talent – Identity and Access Management (IAM): Okta has hired Splunk, DataStax and Apigee veteran Steve Rowland as chief revenue officer.
7. Twitter Hacker Pleads Guilty: The Florida teenager who broke into Twitter’s network in 2020 and impersonated some of its most popular users as part of a cryptocurrency scam pleaded guilty to fraud and unauthorized computer access. As part of a plea agreement, Graham Ivan Clark will serve a reduced sentence of three years in prison and three on probation, The Wall Street Journal reports.
8. Hacker – Social Tokens: Social token platform Roll suffered a hot wallet breach, resulting in hackers draining at least 3,000 ETH worth $5.7 million on March 15, CoinTelegraph reports.
B. Cybersecurity Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Channel Chief – Data Protection: Imperva has hired Micheal McCollough as global VP of strategic growth. In this role, he will be responsible for scaling the channel business, further developing and growing the Imperva Partner Ecosystem, and creating new partnerships, the company says.
2. Partner – Microsoft Azure Sentinel: Tiberium has launched two Microsoft based services — called Frost and Mythic — that leverage Azure Sentinel and Microsoft Defender. Frost is designed for cloud native customers seeking threat reduction. Mythic builds on the Frost framework to deliver on-premises coverage.
3. Partner – Microsoft MISA Organization: Perimeter 81, a Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) and Network as a Service provider, has joined the Microsoft Intelligent Security Association to “help customers defend against increasingly sophisticated and fast-moving cyber threats.” Dozens of MSSPs have also joined the MISA organization.
4. Partnership – Managed Detection and Response (MDR): GM Sectec, partnering with cloud SIEM provider Sumo Logic to deliver MDR services to companies in Latin America. The platform will offer MDR across across distributed IT environments, which spans network, endpoint, cloud, mobile and modern application assets, the companies say. GM Sectec developed a pure-play MDR platform that includes a special model to accelerate PCI DSS compliance. The company also offers four monitoring and response centers for security incidents and digital risk management (CIRRC) in Mexico and the United States.
5. Partnership – Secure OT: NanoLock Security and Nozomi Networks have partnered to provide an end-to-end cyber protection and management solution to secure OT (operational technology) in critical and industrial infrastructure, the companies say.
6. Distribution – Cloud SIEM: Netpoleon has agreed to distribute LogRhythm in Australia. The deal surfaces within days of MCS agreeing to distribute LogRhythm across the Middle East and Africa.
C. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (March 18, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Huntress hack_it 2021 (March 22-24, Virtual Conference)
- Cloud Security Summit 2021 from Fortinet (April 6-7, Virtual)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- VMware Carbon Black Connect 2021 (June 3, Virtual Conference)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar