Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 18 March 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. CISA Warning – TrickBot Malware: Details are here.
2. Funding – Vulnerability Remediation Orchestration: Vulcan Cyber has raised $21 million in Series B funding led by Dawn Capital with participation from Wipro Ventures and existing investors YL Ventures and Ten Eleven Ventures. The company will use the funds to roll out new vulnerability remediation solutions for cloud and application security teams. A new offering, called Vulcan Free, also is surfacing.
3. Cyber Startup Accelerator Program: SOSA and the Canadian Technology Accelerator (CTA) are launching the next CTA Cybersecurity, Privacy & Compliance Virtual Program in New York.
4. Talent – Human Layer Security: Tessian has hired Duo Security veteran Matthew Smith as its chief strategy officer. Smith previously was global VP of partners sales and business development at Duo, which Cisco Systems now owns.
5. Talent – CISO: Backblaze, a storage cloud company, has named Mark Potter as CISO.
6. Datto Cyber Resilience Strategy: Datto CISO Ryan Weeks shares details with ChannelE2E.
7. Incident Triage: BigPanda has released Automatic Incident Triage, which “significantly reduces the manual toil associated with the triage phase of incident management,” the company says.
B. Cybersecurity Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. Usage-Based Security for MSPs: F-Secure’s unified, integrated cyber security offering is now available as a usage-based business model, offering F-Secure’s service partners and their customers “operational efficiency, smooth deployment, and flexibility,” the company says.
2. Partnership – Secure Chips: Intel and the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) have announced a three-year partnership to advance the development of domestically manufactured structured Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) platforms. The Structured Array Hardware for Automatically Realized Applications (SAHARA) partnership enables “the design of custom chips that include state-of-the-art security countermeasure technologies,” the two organizations say.
3. Partnership – Data Analytics vs. Financial Fraud: Deloitte is leveraging Quantexa, a data and analytics software platform, as part of the global IT consulting firm’s effort to enable the contextual monitoring of criminal activities. The move will help enterprises “establish a robust framework against organized crime, and a powerful defense against the rise of illicit finance, economic crime and the fraud epidemic,” the companies say.
4. Partnership – Cyber Insurance: AXIS Insurance and Elpha Secure are partnering to provide cyber insurance and software protection to small businesses.
5. Partner Program – Industrial Cybersecurity: Claroty has introduced the Claroty FOCUS Partner Program. The three-tier program is “designed to align to and support all partners’ differentiated business models and expand the ecosystem’s ability to become trusted advisors on industrial cybersecurity,” the company says.
C. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (Today, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Huntress hack_it 2021 (March 22-24, Virtual Conference)
- Cloud Security Summit 2021 from Fortinet (April 6-7, Virtual)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- VMware Carbon Black Connect 2021 (June 3, Virtual Conference)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar