Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 22 January 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. U.S. Cybersecurity: President Joe Biden is hiring a group of national security veterans with deep cyber expertise, drawing praise from former defense officials and investigators as the U.S. government works to recover from the SolarWinds Orion-related hacks of its agencies attributed to Russian spies, Reuters reports.
2. Funding – Security Operations Center (SOC) Software: CardinalOps has raised $6.5 million in seed funding, and unveiled a Threat Coverage Optimization Platform to help security engineers to continuously optimize their SOCs. Battery Ventures, Glilot Capital and several security industry leaders led the seed funding round.
3. Expansion – Security Operations Center (SOC): Security On-Demand (SOD) has opened a European Security Operations Center (SOC) in Warsaw, Poland.
4. Insider Threat Monitoring: CYDERES, the 24/7 security-as-a-service division of cybersecurity solutions provider Fishtech Group, has announced Insider Threat Monitoring as a Service. The capability, set to launch April 1, is an add-on to the CYDERES Managed Detection and Response (MDR) service.
5. Ransom DDoS Attacks: Black Lotus Labs, the threat intelligence arm of Lumen Technologies, has released a blog that details the team’s research into the recent increase in Ransom Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks.
6. Partnership – Encryption: ARIA Cybersecurity Solutions, a CSPi business, is partnering with StorMagic to offer a zero-footprint hardware option for “adopting and offloading KMIP-based encryption—locally for their critical applications,” the companies say.
B. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Secureworks Connect 2021 (February 9-10, Virtual Conference)
- SOC as a Service for Small MSPs (March 18, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- Expanding From MDR to XDR (June 17, MSSP Alert Webcast)
- Black Hat USA 2021 (July 31-August 5, Las Vegas)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar