Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 24 September 2021
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity News Alerts
1. DDoS and Ransomware Attack: VoIP.ms is still trying to recover from the attack.
2. Concerns About Former Hacker: Employees are raising concerns about ExpressVPN executive Dan Gericke’s former work on behalf of a foreign intelligence service to hack American machines, Reuters reports.
3. Hackers Target U.S. Port: The Port of Houston Authority successfully defended itself against a cybersecurity attack in August, the port disclosed in a brief statement.
4. Cyber Fines Coming?: The nation’s top cybersecurity officials urged Congress to consider passing legislation that would fine organizations if they failed to report cybersecurity incidents to the federal government, The Hill reports.
6. Huawei Cloud Security Concerns: Two republican lawmakers have raised concerns around the use of Huawei cloud services in over 40 countries due to the access it allegedly gives the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) to systems, and urging Blinken to ensure that the use of these services does not expand any further. In response, U.S. Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo said the Biden administration will take further action against Huawei if necessary. Sources: The Hill, September 22, 2021, and Reuters, September 23, 2021.
7. Funding – Third-Party Risk Management: Panorays has rasied $42 million in Series B funding led by Greenfield Partners with participation from existing investors Aleph and Oak HC/FT as well as new investors BlueRed Partners (Singapore), Greenspring Associates (which was recently acquired by StepStone Group) and Moneta VV. Panorays develops tools to streamline security between organizations and their vendors.
8. Funding – Identify Verification: Founders Fund and several other venture capital firms have invested $150 million in Persona Identities Inc.
B. Cybersecurity Partnerships, Strategic Alliances and Integrations
1. Partnership – Financial Services Cybersecurity: Cohere Cyber Secure and SecurityScorecard have partnered to help financial services organizations continuously monitor and mitigate potential cyber threats, both on-premise and in the cloud, the companies say.
3. Microsoft Intelligent Security Association (MISA): Cloudflare has joined MISA, an ecosystem of independent software vendors and MSSPs that have “integrated with Microsoft Security to better defend against a world of increasing cybersecurity threats,” the two organizations say.
C. MSSP, MDR and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Sumo Logic Illuminate 2021 User Conference (September 28-29, Virtual)
- CMMC Con 2021 (September 29, Virtual Event)
- Innovate 2021 Cybersecurity Summit (October 3-6, Scottsdale, Arizona)
- FireEye Cyber Defense Summit (October 4-8, Hybrid – virtual and in-person)
- Exabeam Spotlight21 (October 4-6, Hybrid, virtual and in-person)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar