Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 30 November 2020
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR), Extended Detection and Response (XDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP News Alerts
1. Ransomware Recovery Costs – IT Services: French IT services firm Sopra Steria, which suffered a Ryuk ransomware attack in October 2020, now estimates that recovering from the attack could cost up to 50 million euros ($59 million), Bank Info Security reports.
2. Ransomware Attack Cripples Baltimore Schools: A ransomware attack against Baltimore County Public Schools has triggered a multi-day malware recovery effort, and schools will be closed on November 30 and December 1.
3. Ransomware Attacks IoT Chip Maker: The Conti ransomware gang hit the systems of industrial automation and Industrial IoT (IIoT) chip maker Advantech and is now demanding a $14 million ransom to decrypt affected systems and to stop leaking stolen company data, Bleeping Computer reports.
4. Ransomware Payment: Delaware County, Pennsylvania has paid a $500,000 ransom after their systems were hit recently by the DoppelPaymer ransomware, Bleeping Computer reports.
5. Hackers Target Vaccine Makers: Suspected North Korean hackers have tried to break into the systems of British drugmaker AstraZeneca in recent weeks, Reuters reports.
8. Research – Threat Hunting Trends for 2020 and 2021: Group-IB has unveiled its annual Hi-Tech Crime Trends 2020/2021 report.
B. MSSP and Cybersecurity Virtual Events and Conference Calendar
- Siemplify SOCstock (December 3, Virtual Conference)
- Black Hat Europe 2020 (December 7-10, Virtual Conference)
- Secureworks Connect 2021 (February 9-10, Virtual Conference)
- RSA Conference 2021 (May 17-21, Virtual Conference)
- Black Hat USA 2021 (July 31-August 5, Las Vegas)
- Bonus: MSSP Alert’s complete event calendar