Live Blog: Black Hat USA 2018 Day 1
Thousands of cybersecurity professionals, vendors and partners are attending this week’s Black Hat USA 2018 conference in Las Vegas. MSSP Alert is blogging live — each day — from the conference. Here’s our update for Monday, August 6, 2018.
5. IBM Security: IBM has unveiled X-Force Red Labs, a network of four secure facilities dedicated to testing the security of devices and systems including consumer and industrial IoT technologies, automotive equipment, and Automated Teller Machines (ATMs), the company says. We’ll share more details soon.
4. Managed Detection and Response (MDR): Fidelis Cybersecurity has launched a new 24×7 Fidelis MDR service. The service involves a security team that leverages Fidelis technology to analyze network and endpoint metadata, content, behavioral and asset characteristics, as well as enterprise IoT devices to aid in hunting and investigations.
3. MDR vs. MSSPs: A lengthy list of MDR-centric companies will strive to differentiate from traditional MSSPs at the conference. We’re meeting with several of the major players — including eSentire, which is led by former HP Enterprise Channel Chief Kerry Bailey. We see the lines between MSSPs and MDR providers blurring, but Gartner insists there’s still a difference between the two categories. We’ll share more thoughts about the sector after our Black Hat meetings.
2. Managed Security for MSPs in SMB Sector: Technology companies are working overtime to help MSPs address cybersecurity for SMB customers. But to the best of my knowledge, only Webroot CTO Hal Lonas is specifically hosting an MSP- and SMB-centric session at Black Hat. It’s this Thursday, August 9 at 12:10 p.m. We’ll share more thoughts when we catch up with Webroot.
1. More Black Hat News: Got news from the conference to share? Email me the details ([email protected]) for potential coverage on MSSP Alert. Sorry, but our meeting schedule at the conference is completely booked.