Managed Security Service Provider (MSSP) News: 13 June 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
Here’s the daily business update for Thursday, June 13, 2019.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. New Security Operations Centers (SOCs) for MSPs: Expect to hear news from a startup called inSOC — which apparently developed a platform specifically for MSPs and MSSPs. We hear details will surface next week at DattoCon19 in San Diego. Side note: Dozens of companies are striving to offer SOC as a Service to MSPs. A sampling of SOCaaS providers is listed toward the bottom of this MSSP Alert article.
2. Another New Security Operations Center: Silent Breach has established a Security Operating Center (SOC) at the company’s Singapore headquarters in SUNTEC Towers.
3. Cyber Risk Professional Services: RedSeal, a provider of network cyber risk modeling for hybrid environments, has introduced a new portfolio of professional services to help customers reduce cyber risk and improve the productivity of their security teams. The effort includes various subscription services — which align a RedSeal security engineer with an organization’s cybersecurity team to deliver assessments and prioritized risk mitigation recommendations, the company says.
4. Identity and Access Management: RapidIdentity has launched the Identity Automation Partner Program – VIP as the next piece of its 2.0 growth strategy, a targeted initiative to scale the business with increased focus on execution, the company says.
5. Cyber Insurance: Verisk has launched Cyber Underwriting Report, which helps insurers underwrite a variety of cyber risks, the company says.
6. Cyber Budget Questions: CFOs don’t know how much to spend on cybersecurity, according to The Wall Street Journal. Maybe organizations should focus on people, process and risk assessments first — before deciding how much to spend on cyber tools and talent to address such risks.
7. Secure Software Development Best Practices: NIST has released a draft set of guidelines that technologists should follow to ensure security is baked into every step of the software development lifecycle, NextGov reports.
8. Quarterly Threat Report: NuSpire’s latest findings are here.
9. Funding: Orca Security, founded by former Check Point executives Avi Shua and Gil Geron, has received $6.5 million in seed funding led by YL Ventures for its mission to provide organizations with “seamless full stack visibility into their complete cloud infrastructure footprint, all without complex and costly per-asset integration,” the company says.
10. Security Analytics: Barracuda has introduced Barracuda Firewall Insights, a security analytics platform that ingests, aggregates, and analyzes data automatically from any Barracuda CloudGen Firewall. Customers, Barracuda says, gain actionable insights for the entire network; automated capabilities; and Customizable reports.
11. Music and Ransomware: Rather than pay a ransomware demand, the band Radiohead released music on Bandcamp in order to aid Extinction Rebellion.
12. Protect the Brew: Anheuser-Busch InBev (AB InBev), the world’s largest beer maker, is opening a cybersecurity unit in Israel to help protect itself from a growing number of attacks, Reuters reports.
13. Who’s Guilty?: Telegram founder Pavel Durov said a massive cyber-attack on his messaging service originated in China, raising questions about whether Beijing tried to disrupt a protest involving hundreds of thousands that erupted on the streets of Hong Kong, according to Bloomberg.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Cybersecurity Partnerships
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit (June 17-19, Maryland)
- AWS re:inforce Cloud Cybersecurity Conference 2019 (June 25-26, Boston, Massachusetts)
- MSSP Accelerator: Sales and Marketing Summit (July 10-11, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- Cyber:Secured Forum 2019 (July 29-31, Austin, Texas)
- Black Hat USA 2019 (August 3-9, Las Vegas)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.