Managed Security Services Provider Morning News: 06 December 2017
Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the lineup for Wednesday, December 6, 2017:
9. IoT Security: – Atonomi, the blockchain-based arm of CENTRI Technology, has launched the Atonomi Network, a crypto-security protocol that will enable advanced trust and identity validation for IoT devices, the company asserts.
8. Alleged Hacker Arrested: One of Eastern Europe’s most prolific cyber criminals has been arrested in a joint operation involving Belarus, Germany and the United States that aimed to dismantle a vast computer network used to carry out financial scams, Reuters says. The alleged hacker, apparently known as Ar3s in online forums, is involved in the Andromeda network, the report claims.
7. Webroot Momentum: Webroot added nearly 1,000 MSPs in Q1 of its fiscal year 2018, and now supports more than 10,200 MSPs, the company claims. The news marked the 15th consecutive quarter that Webroot has generated double-digit business growth. Still, the company isn’t resting on its laurels. New CEO Mike Potts is expanding the company beyond endpoint security to drive an overall multi-layer platform strategy. Former CEO Dick Williams, who retired earlier this year, laid the foundation for the strategy before his exit.
6. Fortinet Conference: The Fortinet Accelerate 18 conference, designed for partners and network security professionals, is set for February in Las Vegas, the company confirms.
5. Ransomware – Today’s Deadline: Government servers in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, are infected with ransomware, and the county has until 1 p.m. ET today (Wednesday, December 6) to pay $23,000 or two bitcoin to decrypt the files, the Associated Press reports.
4. Ransomware -Yesterday’s Victim: CCRM Minneapolis, a fertility clinic, apparently has suffered a ransomware attack…
3. Cyber Insurance: Coalition has launched cyber insurance products that are backed by Swiss Re Corporate Solutions and Argo Group. The launch team includes technology entrepreneurs and executives who helped build Cloudflare, Lookout and OpenDNS (now owned by Cisco).
2. Funded: Continuum Security, a Madrid, Spain-based cybersecurity company, has secured €1.5m in funding. The company is not to be confused with Continuum Managed Services, which is building a Security Operations Center (SOC) for MSPs to leverage in the SMB sector.