Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) Market News: 23 March 2023
Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers this quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected]RiskAlliance.com.
A. Today’s MSSP, MSP, MDR, XDR and Cybersecurity Market News
1. TikTok CEO Faces Congress Today: TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew received a grilling Thursday from a U.S. congressional committee where made his own case for why the hugely popular video-sharing app shouldn’t be banned. “Mr. Chew, you are here because the American people need the truth about the threat TikTok poses to our national and personal security,” Committee Chair Cathy McMorris Rodgers, a Republican, said in her opening statement. “TikTok has repeatedly chosen a path for more control, more surveillance and more manipulation.” (Source: Seeking Alpha)
2. Industry Recognition: IDShield, an online privacy and identity theft protection provider, has been recognized by the 2023 Cybersecurity Excellence Awards in the category of Cybersecurity Product/Service. IDShield received Gold recognition in the following categories in North America for Identity Theft Resolution Service, Fraud Prevention, and Social Media Security.
3. Thought Leadership: Brought on by a significant increase in awareness regarding data privacy, Razorfish has released a research study that aims to better understand consumer attitudes. The Razorfish study, “The Data Privacy Paradox,” focuses on uncovering how brands can learn from those attitudes to walk the fine line between respecting boundaries and creating personalized experiences which add value to consumers’ lives.
4. Cyberattack Reported: A trojanized version of the legitimate ChatGPT extension for Chrome is gaining popularity on the Chrome Web Store, accumulating over 9,000 downloads while stealing Facebook accounts. The extension is a copy of the legitimate popular add-on for Chrome named “ChatGPT for Google” that offers ChatGPT integration on search results. However, this malicious version includes additional code that attempts to steal Facebook session cookies. (Source: Bleeping Computer)
5. CISA Adds to Advisory: The U.S. Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) has appointed K12 SIX Director Doug Levin to a two-year term on its Cybersecurity Advisory Committee (CSAC). Levin will advise on the unique cybersecurity needs and threats impacting the U.S. K-12 education sector and lend his expertise to guide policy and programs to support “target-rich, cyber-poor” entities across the nation.
6. Industry Recognition: Contrast Security has been named to the JMP Securities Cyber 66, a list of the hottest privately held cybersecurity companies. This is the fifth consecutive year Contrast and its Secure Code Platform has been named to the annual report.
7. Industry Recognition: Neosec, a specialist in discovering and identifying API threats using behavioral analytics, has won in three different categories of the 2023 Cybersecurity Excellence Awards, including being selected as the Silver winner of “Most Innovative Cybersecurity Company.”
8. Leadership Move: NinjaOne, a provider of cloud-native IT management for managed service providers (MSPs) and IT departments, has appointed Robert Gibbons as its new chief technology officer. Gibbons will lead the company’s worldwide technology and engineering organization to accelerate innovation and business growth.
9. Product Launch: Nozomi Networks has released a new content pack for organizations working toward ISA/IEC 62443 compliance and certification. The ISA/IEC 62443 Content Pack makes it possible for Nozomi Networks platform users to quickly create custom queries and reports that help confirm their industrial automation and control systems (IACS) meet ISA/IEC 62443 standards.
B. Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- RSA Conference 2023 (April 24-27, San Francisco, California)
- Identiverse 2023 (May 30 – June 2, Las Vegas, Nevada)