Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) Market News: 27 February 2023
MSSP pricing; CISA on Apple, Microsoft, Twitter; Cybersecurity down under; Ransomware hits Dole
Source: Getty Images
Each business day, MSSP Alert delivers this quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs and MSPs; threat hunters; security operations center as a service (SOCaaS), managed detection and response (MDR), and eXtended detection and response (XDR) providers — and those who partner with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically, one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Managing Editor Jim Masters: [email protected].
A. Today’s MSSP Cybersecurity Market News
- What managed security services are worth: What kind of prices are MSSPs charging right now? At the Right of Boom closing panel discussion last week, moderator Gary Pica advocated for $400 a seat, and in New York City $500 a seat.
- CISA’s view of software vendors: At an event at Carnegie Mellon University, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency Director Jen Easterly said Apple was a positive example of accountability and transparency for its security practices. That’s because 95% of iCloud users enable multi-factor authentication (MFA). That compares to just 32% for Microsoft 365 – a figure cited by Right of Boom host Andrew Morgan at that conference last week.
- Cybersecurity Down Under: The Australian government will create an agency to oversee government investment in cybersecurity and overhaul its cybersecurity rules. The action is intended to help coordinate responses to hacker attacks.
- Ransomware hits fresh food company: Dole Plc said it was hit with a ransomware attack and is working with cybersecurity experts to contain the impact. The company is also cooperating with a police investigation. The impact on operations was limited, according to a statement from the company.
- Cyberattack disrupts satellite TV service: U.S. satellite television provider Dish is experiencing a multiday outage after an apparent cyberattack. The disruption began Feb. 23 when customers said they couldn’t access television services or pay bills.
B. Annual In-Person MSSP and Cybersecurity Conferences
- The Official Cyber Security Summit Series (Multiple dates and locations)
- Women in Cybersecurity (WiCyS) 2023 (March 16-18, Denver, Colorado)
- RSA Conference 2023 (April 24-27, San Francisco)