Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 02 August 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
Here’s the daily business update for Friday, August 2, 2019.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Black Hat 2019 Conference News: Track our live Black Hat USA 2019 conference news coverage here. We’ll update that link with news and analysis through the show’s conclusion on August 9.
2. Multifactor Authentication Guide: NIST has published a multifactor authentication guide for e-commerce.
3. M&A: GoSecure has acquired EdgeWave to blend managed detection and response (MDR), email inbox security and other managed security services. Financial terms were not disclosed.
4. Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) – Part One: Capsule8 has unveiled Investigations — which adds adds full endpoint detection and response (EDR)-like investigations capabilities for cloud workloads to Capsule8 Protect, an attack protection platform for Linux production environments, the company says.
6. Network and Endpoint Security: FireEye, has released Network Security 8.3 and FireEye Endpoint Security 4.8. These new versions offer enhanced detection and investigation of advanced attacks against servers, whether hosted in the cloud, on-premise or in hybrid environments, the company says.
7. Talent – CTO: Optiv Security, a Top 100 MSSP has named Todd Weber as chief technology officer (CTO), Americas. In this newly created role, Weber helps clients better understand their options and alternatives while also leading the onboarding of Optiv technology partners.
8. Carbon Black Financial Results: Carbon Black reported second quarter financial results. The data points include:
- Revenue of $60.9 million, up 19.4 percent compared to the corresponding quarter last year.
- A net loss of $14.6 million, considerably lower than a $25.2 net loss for the corresponding quarter last year.
The results generally beat Wall Street’s expectations.
9. Fortinet Financial Results: Fortinet announced second quarter 2019 financial results. The figures include:
- Revenue of $521.7 million, up 18 percent compared to the corresponding quarter last year.
- Net income of $72.7 million, up from $49.3 million in the corresponding quarter last year.
The figures generally beat Wall Street’s expectations.
10. Router Security Services: Avast has roll-out of a new router security service based on Avast Smart Life, to Wind Tre, an Italian mobile operator. The service helps consumers to protect their connected homes and Internet of Things (IoT) devices, Avast asserts.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
C. Next Five Technology Conferences
- Black Hat USA 2019 (August 3-9, Las Vegas)
- EnergySec Security and Compliance Summit 2019 (August 19-21, Anaheim, California)
- GSX 2019: Global Security Exchange Conference (September 8-12, Chicago, Illinois)
- MSSP Accelerator – Sales and Marketing Summit (September 10-11, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- CISA Cybersecurity Summit 2019 (September 18-20, National Harbor, Maryland)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.