Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 05 April 2018
by Joe Panettieri • Apr 5, 2018
Each morning MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across the global managed security services provider, SOC (security operations center) and IT outsourcing ecosystem.
Here’s the lineup for Thursday, April 5, 2018:
10. Facebook Privacy: That Facebook data leak actually involved 87 million users — far more than the original 50 million estimate. CEO Mark Zuckerberg is expected to address the situation and testify before congress on April 10 and 11. Some Facebook shareholders apparently believe the worst of the storm is over. But governments worldwide are investigating Facebook’s privacy efforts — or lack thereof. Meanwhile, Facebook’s efforts to stomp out fake news have triggered censorship claims from Russia.
9. Utility Cyberattack Fallout: Some utilities could face billing delays after a recent cyberattack on the energy sector. As a precautionary move, Duke Energy cut off access to a certain data system — which means some billing could be delayed…
8. Sears, Delta Data Breaches: Sears and Delta Air Lines said on Wednesday some of their customer payment information may have been exposed in a cybersecurity breach at software service provider.
7. Funding: Threat X, which develops SaaS-based Web application firewall solutions for real-time threat detection and neutralization, has raised $8.2 million in Series A funding. Grotech Ventures and Access Venture Partners led the round.
6. Partnership – IoT Security: Identity and access management (IAM) specialist Device Authority and Gemalto are partnering on an integration that makes it “easier for manufacturers, enterprises and service providers to build strong security into their IoT devices from the very beginning,” the companies claim.
5. Talent: Janrain, which specializes in Customer Identity and Access Management (CIAM), has hired New Relic veteran Todd Etchieson as vice president of product. The announcement comes after a year in which Janrain achieved a host of important industry-first milestones while surpassing commercial 3,400 clients and reaching over 1.5 billion digital identities.
4. AWS-Based Services: Digital Defense‘s Frontline.Cloud is now deployed and housed entirely on Amazon Web Services. Frontline.Cloud enables MSSPs, systems integrators and VARs to “easily address the security assessment needs of their customers in a GDPR-compliant manner,” the company claims.
3. AWS Security: Amazon has launched AWS Secrets Manager — a security tool that “makes it easy to store and retrieve your secrets via API or the AWS Command Line Interface (CLI) and rotate your credentials with built-in or custom AWS Lambda functions,” the company claims. We’ll share more details soon.
2. ConnectWise and MSSPs: Is this a new MSSP landing page from ConnectWise ahead of IT Nation 2018 Europe? Hmmm… Keep an eye on MSSP Alert for potential updates…
1. Top 100 MSSPs Survey: Our Top 100 MSSPs Survey for 2018 is now open. Participate now and your company could be recognized and ranked among the world’s top MSSPs when we unveil research, results and the complete list in September.