Managed Security Services Provider (MSSP) News: 08 October 2019
Each business day, MSSP Alert broadcasts a quick lineup of news, analysis and chatter from across that managed security services provider ecosystem.
- The Content: Written for MSSPs, SOC as a Service (SOCaaS), Managed Detection and Response (MDR) and MSP security providers — and those who need to partner up with such companies.
- Frequency and Format: Every business morning. Typically one or two sentences for each item below.
- Reaching Our Inbox: Send news, tips and rumors to Joe@AfterNines.com.
A. Today’s MSSP Alerts
1. Baltimore Ransomware Attack – CIO Exits: Baltimore and CIO Frank Johnson have parted ways, CityScoop reports. The city suffered a major ransomware attack under Johnson’s IT watch earlier this year.
2. AWS Cloud Security: Sophos Cloud Optix is now available in the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Marketplace. Cloud Optix is an agentless SaaS offering that automatically discovers cloud assets, detects cloud security vulnerabilities and misconfigurations, and provides threat response for AWS customers, Sophos says.
3. M&A – Endpoint Security: VMware has completed the Carbon Black acquisition, the companies confirmed today.
4, M&A – Anti-Drone Security: Dedrone has acquired DroneDefender from Battelle. Based on the deal, Dedrone is launching Dedrone Defense — an end-to-end solution that detects and classifies airspace activity, protects assets from drone threats, and defeats adversary drones, the company says.
5. Research – Password Management: The third-annual Global Password Security Report from LastPass (a LogMeIn company) has surfaced.
6. Research – SMB Cyberattacks: The latest numbers from Ponemon Institute offer more cause for concern.
7. Cyber Risk Management: Telos says its new Xacta.io cyber risk management platform is generally available.
8. Multi-Cloud Security: vArmour has unveiled version 5 of the vArmour Application Controller. Customers gain a centralized understanding of application dependencies and behaviors across their multi-cloud infrastructure, enabling centralized risk mitigation and policy management, the company says.
9. Security Orchestration, Automation and Response (SOAR): Palo Alto Networks has introduced Demisto 5.0, bringing new enhancements to SOAR platform, the company says.
10. Network Security Appliance: WatchGuard has launched the Firebox T35-R, a network security appliance for midmarket businesses, distributed enterprises and MSPs.
11. Cyberattacks – Iran Heads to Court: Iran is planning to take legal action against the U.S. for numerous alleged cyberattacks and threats on its networks, Bloomberg reports.
12. Asia-Pacific Expansion: AttackIQ has opened regional offices in Sidney and Melbourne, Australia. Chris Zauzig, Regional Sales Manager for APAC, and Brett Callaughan, Systems Engineer for APAC, are leading the expansion.
B. MSSP Partner Programs and Strategic Alliances
1. OEM – Account Takeover Mitigation: SolarWinds has launched Identity Monitor, which is designed to help organizations prevent automated account takeover (ATO) attacks. Identity Monitor leverages technology from SpyCloud, which specializes in recovering data breach information.
3. Partner Program: Forcepoint has expanded its partner program to feature The Global System Integrators (GSI) Platinum and Accredited Services Partners (ASP) programs.
4. Global Reseller – Data Privacy: SAP has agreed to resell BigID solutions under two brands: SAP Privacy Management application by BigID and SAP Data Mapping and Protection application by BigID.
C. Next Five Cybersecurity Conferences
- FireEye Cyber Defense Summit (October 7-10, Washington, D.C.)
- EuroCACS/CSX 2019 (October 16-18, Geneva, Switzerland)
- Mimecast Cyber Resilience Summit (October 28-30, Dallas)
- Infosecurity and ISACA North America Expo and Conference (November 20-21, New York)
- RSA Conference USA 2020 (February 24-28, 2020, San Francisco)
- Bonus: The complete MSSP Alert calendar
Email me your news, rumors and tips for potential coverage here on MSSP Alert.